V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction. I've got a 2006 Super Glide Custom and the rear spring (coil overs) look to be adjustable. Problem is I can't figure out how to adjust them. The owners manual makes no mention of this at all. I have the service manual and it makes a small mention of this and states it takes a spanner wrench to change them. Thing is the type of spanner wrench I've seen before doesn't look like it would work with these springs. Do the HD dealers have the correct tool for sale that I would need to adjust these? Can I get the correct tool elsewhere? How much does it cost? I highly doubt that I'll be changing them often but I would just like to have all the tools to do the job just in case.

Thanks in advance.

·
Woo Hoo!
178 Posts
Spanner Tool

Your local dealer should have them or be able to order one for you. I believe if you Googled it you would get some hits. My local dealer had an aftermarket one for about $12.00.

JD

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
There are two types. One is like an open end wrench that hooks into one hole. It sucks. The type you want looks like a pair of pliers and hooks into two holes. The owners manual should tell you how to do the adjustment. I think someone at one time posted a picture of the good wrench. Do a search.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went with the one RGraham mentioned that is similar to a pair of pliers...Its made by progressive suspension and locks into two of the holes at the base of the shock collar...I used a rag over the shock to prevent any scratches....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys...at least now I know what I'm looking for.

I just tried PACSMAN's advice and used a strap wrench and it worked great.

Now for another question...what number do you normally ride around on? Mine have 1-5 for the settings and they were set at 3 when I took delivery and I have just left them there. Can you tell a big difference from one setting to another? I was thinking if I set them on 5 then that would lower the rear a tiny bit but I don't know if that will make the riding more noticably rough.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
5= lowest setting??

PowerCobra98 said:
Thanks guys...at least now I know what I'm looking for.

I just tried PACSMAN's advice and used a strap wrench and it worked great.

Now for another question...what number do you normally ride around on? Mine have 1-5 for the settings and they were set at 3 when I took delivery and I have just left them there. Can you tell a big difference from one setting to another? I was thinking if I set them on 5 then that would lower the rear a tiny bit but I don't know if that will make the riding more noticably rough.
I don't think it would lower the bike that much. You have to remember that the lowest setting is for the"average"rider(180 lbs,etc).When i still had stock shocks,i would use "2" for a cruise/soft ride and 3 for more spirited riding. 4 or 5(highest/stiffest setting)when two-up. good luck

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I got one for my 2000FXD that hooks into one hole, I use a rag under it to prevent scratching the chrome. I believe it is called a "spaner" wrench.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I use a 1/4x3" bolt with 2 nuts. Quite inexpensive, and easy to put in tool kit.

Thorns

1 - 11 of 11 Posts