V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is the situation. I installed some new J&M speakers this winter. The install went fine and tested the stereo with an MP3 player using the FM modulator and everything sounded fine. Even started up the bike to see how it would sound and everything was great. Finally got out on the road this past weekend and it seems that once I get the revs up that I notice popping/crackling in the speakers. At first, I thought it was the FM modulator, but also played the radio for a local station that has a strong broadcast signal and still hearing the popping/crackling. The bike is an 2000 EG and has the original stereo.

I’m by no means and electronics expert and was wondering if I need to have some sort of add-on to handle the new strength of the speakers. I haven’t popped off the fairing to see if the wires came loose, but again, everything sounds great until I start to generate revs on the bike.

Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
378 Posts
stonesrock said:
Okay, here is the situation. I installed some new J&M speakers this winter. The install went fine and tested the stereo with an MP3 player using the FM modulator and everything sounded fine. Even started up the bike to see how it would sound and everything was great. Finally got out on the road this past weekend and it seems that once I get the revs up that I notice popping/crackling in the speakers. At first, I thought it was the FM modulator, but also played the radio for a local station that has a strong broadcast signal and still hearing the popping/crackling. The bike is an 2000 EG and has the original stereo.

I’m by no means and electronics expert and was wondering if I need to have some sort of add-on to handle the new strength of the speakers. I haven’t popped off the fairing to see if the wires came loose, but again, everything sounds great until I start to generate revs on the bike.

Any advice would be helpful.
Don't have an answer to your problem but I have the J&M speakers in our '01 Ultra and they work great so don't think you need to add anything to make them work. I didn't. We listen to tapes and our mp3 player through the aux input and no popping or noise of any kind. Just clean, clear sound.....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aztriker said:
Don't have an answer to your problem but I have the J&M speakers in our '01 Ultra and they work great so don't think you need to add anything to make them work. I didn't. We listen to tapes and our mp3 player through the aux input and no popping or noise of any kind. Just clean, clear sound.....
I sent an email to J&M just now as well to see if they have any insight. I'm going to pop off the fairing and double check the wiring again, but I don't think that is an issue. Why would it sound good when idling is driving me nuts...

·
Registered
271 Posts
How did the original speakers sound? Were you having issues before and suspected the speakers?
Try checking the ground wire from the radio chassis to the frame.
Did you do anything else to your bike over the winter, like replace spark plug wires or coils?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eglide1 said:
How did the original speakers sound? Were you having issues before and suspected the speakers?
Try checking the ground wire from the radio chassis to the frame.
Did you do anything else to your bike over the winter, like replace spark plug wires or coils?
The original speakers didn't have the cracking/popping, they just sounded like like basic stock speakers that didn't have good sound when the volume was raised.

I'l check the ground, I was already going to pull the fairing off and double check the wiring.

The plugs were replaced a couple of weeks ago when I did my spring tune-up, same HD plugs I always use.

I did receive a reply from J&M and they asked me to put in the stock speakers to see if I have the same popping/cracking, but alas, I tossed those olds speakers away after the install and everything seemed to be working fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
stonesrock said:
The original speakers didn't have the cracking/popping, they just sounded like like basic stock speakers that didn't have good sound when the volume was raised.

I'l check the ground, I was already going to pull the fairing off and double check the wiring.

The plugs were replaced a couple of weeks ago when I did my spring tune-up, same HD plugs I always use.

I did receive a reply from J&M and they asked me to put in the stock speakers to see if I have the same popping/cracking, but alas, I tossed those olds speakers away after the install and everything seemed to be working fine.
When you go back in there, be sure to check and see that those little metal brackets that go from the speakers to the main inner fairing brackets, aren't broken. Also, make certain your main inner fairing brackets aren't broken at the top where they fasten to the inner fairing. This could cause excessive vibration and maybe cause a noise like you're describing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aztriker said:
When you go back in there, be sure to check and see that those little metal brackets that go from the speakers to the main inner fairing brackets, aren't broken. Also, make certain your main inner fairing brackets aren't broken at the top where they fasten to the inner fairing. This could cause excessive vibration and maybe cause a noise like you're describing. Just a thought.
Another good suggestion. I think when I take the fairing off, I'll start up the bike and see if there is excessive vibration in the speaker area.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do you have the radio set for auto volume increase as you speed up?
Maybe its over drivng them? Really reaching now. wish I could help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything everyone has suggested I"m going to check out. Also, after emailing J&M about the issue, they are going to ship new speakers to me and I will send them my current ones. I think that is outstanding customer service, even with the fact that I bought the speakers from a different dealer who sells J&M.

After installing the new speakers, will try to rev the bike up with fairing off to see if the replacements do the trick.

Thanks again all for the feedback....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I may have found the problem with the cracking I’ve been hearing. Took the bike out one more time and noticed the cracking came from the right speaker. I popped the fairing off and the bracket that attaches underneath the speaker bracket (which basically holds the radio connector clips and adds some support I assume) cracked off where the screw attaches to the speaker bracket. So the bracket basically was stuck to the magnet of the bike and probably bounced around when riding, thus causing the crackling. Not sure if this metal on magnet caused any damage to the speaker, but I’m waiting for the replacement speakers that J&M was sending, since they assumed that there was a problem with the speakers. I will pop on the new speakers, as well as put on a new bracket and I hope this is the end of this problem.

Thanks again to all for your feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts