V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service manual thinks the plugs should be cleaned, filed and re-gapped every 5K. I'm wonderin' if I'm just asking for trouble messin' with this rather than spending a few bucks on some new ones. What are your thoughts?

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
bman001 said:
Service manual thinks the plugs should be cleaned, filed and re-gapped every 5K. I'm wonderin' if I'm just asking for trouble messin' with this rather than spending a few bucks on some new ones. What are your thoughts?
Sparkplugs are cheap - just replace em.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Put platinums in and don't worry about them every 5k. I ran my last set about 30k before changing them. I only changed those because I had made some upgrades to the bike and wanted to monitor new plugs.

Yes, definitely carry a spare set. If you dies on you on the road, you are basically dead in the water.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
if it ain't broke don't fix it.carry an extra set with you tho. the most i got out of a set of plugs was 4 years.some only lasted a few days. i'll never figure it out. if it's running good leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Can't disagree with just replacing plugs once a year or so.

But I just picked up a cool air-powered spark plug cleaner at Harbor Freight for < $20. It makes old plugs look almost new.

I have a lot of small engines in my garage, and each one takes a different plug, so this may work out well, especially for the 2-stroke engines. I may even try it on the bikes.

John

·
Registered
944 Posts
JRS said:
Can't disagree with just replacing plugs once a year or so.

But I just picked up a cool air-powered spark plug cleaner at Harbor Freight for < $20. It makes old plugs look almost new.

I have a lot of small engines in my garage, and each one takes a different plug, so this may work out well, especially for the 2-stroke engines. I may even try it on the bikes.

John
Good luck.. I had one of these years ago and while they made the plugs look like new if they had been fouled or had stopped firing, this machine will not help them run better at all.... Just my experience...

·
Registered
822 Posts
I ran my original plugs for 20,000 miles. Barely looked worn when I replaced them.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Only time I ever tried to clean plugs was when I was a kid riding dirt bikes and didn't have a spare around when I fouled one and had no way to get a proper plug (Try finding a surface gap plug for a Kawasaki 175 w/ CDI ignition at your typical auto parts store on a Sunday in 1972!)
Otherwise, as cheap as plugs are, it's kind of like rinsing out your toilet paper so you can re-use it.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
The plugs are cheap and easy to replace. I do it around every 10k. Might want to check there tighntess. I had one come loose with 9k miles on it and bugger the threads of the head. Was 1300+ miles from home, in Yellowstone park. Had a spare. Kept coming loose ever 10-20 miles, until I tightened to the point of strip. Made it home. Took it out, plug just fell back in.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
I replace them as part of winterizing the scoot regardless if needed or not. Good call on keeping a spare gapped set in case you forget about the choke. Don't ask how I know. Actually, it's a theoretical assumption:)

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
i'm sold on the platinum's. put in a set and put 10,000+ miles on them. only reason i took em out was i changed heads and they still look brand new. efi helps a lot. :bowdwn: ~!Awesome! i did check the gap at 5000 mi.:gun:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts