V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Absolutely.

Use the stock wires or the SE Delphi specific ones. Substituting wires will either disable the ionization feature and/or set codes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
First from an engineering perspective, you cannot produce more horsepower based on wires - so any claim to this is BS.
Second if you have an EFI bike, use only the stock or SE Delphi specific wires exactly Hippo says. Here is why.
Although most aftermarket ignition wires will perform the function of conducting coil output to the spark plug, what is important to HD EFI bikes is EMI suppression and resistance. All electronic devices can be effected by EMI emitted from ignition wires, and the problem is often exacerbated by installing a high-output ignition system so don't do that either. As the bike ages, engine management sensors and wiring deteriorate and become more susceptible to EMI radiating from improperly suppressed ignition wires. HD EFI tuners should also take into account that the ECM uses resistance in ignition wires to sense detonation (ionization across the gap detected by resistance) and then kick in spark retard on the appropriate cylinder.
If you put in "low resistance' wires and take this away, then you WON'Tt get knock retard and you WILL get detonation that would normally be eliminated. DTC codes as da Hippo says will then be set -probably 13XX codes for ignition voltage/coil problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was considering the SE wires, is it worth the time? Does the tank have to be removed? Thanks

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Would the same info apply to a 2000 Road King? I have the MM EFI system and you spoke of Delphi specific SE wires.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If MM does electronic spark retard to reduce detonation via an ionization sensor detecting resistance across the gap, then you can experience the same problem with low resistance wires. So I would not substitute wires on MM EFI. However I personally don't know MM. Hopefully da Hip will respond.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You can use good spiral wound wires with the proper supression on MM and carb bikes, like Magnecor or Jacobs wires.

The tank doesn't have to come off, but it has to be raised. I believe the FM describes it as partial removal.

It is a good idea to replace the stock wires every year or two as a maintenance item.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts