V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride is an '03 FXDX, and I am just getting into doing my own maintenance. One issue I've come across is the correct spark plug socket. An 11/16" is a perfect fit (for the SE plugs), with the 5/8" being too small and the metrics having too much "slop". The problem is that I can't find anyone who offers an 11/16" spark plug socket. I bought a deep socket in that size, using rubber grommets to hold the plugs in alignment, but since my bike has a carb, the petcock housing gets in the way of the deep socket, especially when mounted on a torque wrench. BTW, I'm using 1/2" drives, but may have to drop to a 3/8" drive.

Do any of you know of a source for an 11/16" spark plug socket that will fit under the petcock housing to get to the rear plug, preferrably for a 1/2" drive? If not for a 1/2" drive, how about one for a 3/8" drive? I know this is a really basic question, but I haven't had luck yet.

As for torque, how important is it? I'm using an old Sears beam style 1/2" drive unit, but may need to buy a 3/8" drive unit to get the spark plug problem resolved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!!!

Thanks to all! I like the "minimalist" approach of using a box wrench best. This newbie has just had one issue resolved. I'm sure I'll be back...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.