V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride is an '03 FXDX, and I am just getting into doing my own maintenance. One issue I've come across is the correct spark plug socket. An 11/16" is a perfect fit (for the SE plugs), with the 5/8" being too small and the metrics having too much "slop". The problem is that I can't find anyone who offers an 11/16" spark plug socket. I bought a deep socket in that size, using rubber grommets to hold the plugs in alignment, but since my bike has a carb, the petcock housing gets in the way of the deep socket, especially when mounted on a torque wrench. BTW, I'm using 1/2" drives, but may have to drop to a 3/8" drive.

Do any of you know of a source for an 11/16" spark plug socket that will fit under the petcock housing to get to the rear plug, preferrably for a 1/2" drive? If not for a 1/2" drive, how about one for a 3/8" drive? I know this is a really basic question, but I haven't had luck yet.

As for torque, how important is it? I'm using an old Sears beam style 1/2" drive unit, but may need to buy a 3/8" drive unit to get the spark plug problem resolved.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
I have an efi bike so don't have the petcock issue.
I do have 11/16" Autolite plugs. I use a standard 3/8 drive
socket with no problems. If the socket is well onto the plug
you won't break the insulation. You might have to put the
socket on first then attach the ratchet.
Also, I think using a tq wrench on spark plugs is overkill.
You should be able to develop a feel for it. Use the tq wrench on the
plug you can easily get to then loosen it by hand to get the feel.
It's only finger tight plus a 1/8-1/4 turn or so.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I use an 11/16 th angled box. Finger tighten ALL the way in then snug about 1/8 turn or so with the wrench. Never have used a socket. Never come loose.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
T handle spark plug wrench and don't use a torque wrench. Like Cyclone says, run it in until the washer don't spin, then just enough to crush it.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Guys above said it all. I might add that using a 1/2 drive is just asking for trouble eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I know you will like this one..."don't use an impact wrench!"

Thorns

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I always tighten spark plugs up until they either strip or seize and then back off 1/16 of a turn. It works once for each sparkplug. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!!!

Thanks to all! I like the "minimalist" approach of using a box wrench best. This newbie has just had one issue resolved. I'm sure I'll be back...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts