V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After rejetting My stock Carb with 48 and 190 jets, idle adjustment screw 2 1/4 out, and installing SE air cleaner and VH Big shot staggerds. The front cylinder spark plug is nice and tan but the rear cylinder plug gets black and sutty. Should the plugs be close to the same color or does the rear plug tend to get a lot blacker.

Should I troubleshoot somewhere besides the carb?

Thanks,

99 Wide Glide TC 88
California Model with the canister removed
VH Big shot Staggered
Stock Carb
SE Air Cleaner
Andrews 26 G

Thanks,
Haywood

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If that's the stock CV carb on your 99, it came stock with a 42 slow jet and a 185 main jet. You are jetted way too rich. The CV's didn't come stock with a 45/190 until 2000.

If it was me, I'd put the 42 slow back in along with the 185 main and change the needle to a '88 sportster needle. If you feel you need a little more gas on the bottom, change the slow jet to a 44.

Generally, the plugs in front and back cylinders are fairly close. I'd also check for intake and exhaust leaks especially on the front.

·
Registered
487 Posts
45 lowspeed 185-190 main 1-3/4 mixture 88 1200 needle

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i agree. i would also do a high speed chop and read the plugs, making sure the main is correct.
but usually with pipes and a/c, a sporty needle or raising the stock one is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts