V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rear cylinder spark plug hole that i think is cross threaded. I purchased a 14mm tap to try to re thread the two or three bad threads. About the filings going into the cylinder, I will use a small hose to vaccume out the cylinder after hole is rethreaded. any other suggestions.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Get the cylinder high in the bore. Easier to vac.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I would put a piece of kleenex down the hole first. Hopefully any shavings would stick to that first. Use cutting oil and any shavings will stick better.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
HD05CLASSIC said:
I have a rear cylinder spark plug hole that i think is cross threaded. I purchased a 14mm tap to try to re thread the two or three bad threads. About the filings going into the cylinder, I will use a small hose to vaccume out the cylinder after hole is rethreaded. any other suggestions.
MAC tools makes a tool for that purpose. It fits down in your spark plug hole and cleans the threads from the bottom up. I don't know how good it works but most of Mac tools are good.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you could duct tape a straw or small rubber hose to a shop vac. If you have trouble with the tap check out www.timesert.com they have a dandy kit to keep the plug hole a 12mm. Thought I was going to have to use one when I had a new plug with bad threads go into the hole. The kit they have looks really good and not to bad of price. I'd make sure the piston is on compression top dead center so you don't hit a valve. They might not be that close but it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
zoomie67 said:
A good way to keep from damaging the thread after you repair it is to put a little anti seize on the threads of the plug. Just don't get it on the electrode.
I use 'lock ease' which is a graphited solution. Spray it on the base of the plug and then the carrier dries away leaving just the graphite.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Wondered just how long it was gonna take for the proper reply!!!!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Stripped Threads

BXbutch is exactly correct, look at time serts web site and order the proper LENGTH insert and the proper thread size. Time the length of the insert for your bike is usually not stocked at the time sert dealers, so get it directly from time sert. Fo not heli coil, you must use an insert, you will have to purchase the proper tool as well.
The head comes of easily and quickly, go for it and do it correctly!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
The rest of the story!

Ok, you will need a time sert kit part number 4212. In addition, you will need to order the inserts, part number 42125. The insert needs to be 12X1.25, and the insert is 17.5mm in length.
Their web site is www.timesert.com

Let me know how it turns out, and good luck.{salute(

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it is only the first thread or two that is boogered Jims has a thread chaser that we use. Slather it up with grease and chase the threads. However if the threads are really boogered up do yourself a favor and put a good insert in.
John Therrien
M.I.A. Cycles, NY

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Blew a plug out in Yellowstone in 05. Made it home another 1300 miles. I thought about doing it the quick way. But I took it off.

Ya it sucks, if you never did it before, will give you lots of confidence, when done.

Heads are pretty much follow directions, and unbolt. Only thing that takes little screwing around is getting to TDC, if you never did it before.

If you do it on the bike, do all the thing suggested here grease bit, ect. I would still bring to TDC. Then take shop vac with tube or hose duct tabped on end and put it right over the hole, to form a seal. Could also try reducing it down to very small hose and sticking in cylinder.

I have sucked water out f plug hole, so there is lots of suck there.

I am still glad I took it off. Few months later tore it all down and with 98" and cams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rest of the story!

Ok, you will need a time sert kit part number 4212. In addition, you will need to order the inserts, part number 42125. The insert needs to be 12X1.25, and the insert is 17.5mm in length.
Their web site is www.timesert.com

Let me know how it turns out, and good luck.{salute(
I have a 2000 fatboy, OEM threads are 12mm x 1.25 length! So are the p.o.#,a you posted the right ones for my fatboy ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts