V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My opinion on using your enrichner for two minutes is too much. It's not a choke. It dumps more fuel into your motor. I never have the enrichner on for more than 30 seconds. I'll throttle it at a low rpm till it warms up a bit or lock the throttle at a low rpm with the star screw. Install new plugs, don't forget to gap them first, take it down the highway for about 10 miles, kill the engine, pull over, then take your plugs out and examine them. You mention you had an intake leak. An intake leak will make the motor run lean. Install new intake seals then spray carb cleaner at intake seals. If idle drops, they are leaking. With a new motor your better running rich than too lean. Talk to S&S about jet size for your motor specs and exhaust and even your altitude where you ride. They are good guys and always willing to take the time to help you out. If its too rich, you want to go down a size. S&S carbs are a 2 circuit carb. One is your intermediate jet the other is your main jet. The main jet takes over at a higher RPM. The thunder jet adds a third circuit which helps tune in your carb better. Gets rid of any burps that you might have. I found it helps a little with altitude changes too. Before the thunder jet, I use to open up the enrichner at high altitude to dump more gas. A couple of other ways to dial it in is to take it to a dyno tuner or buy an air/fuel ratio tuning kit. The AFR tuning kits are expensive. If you take it to a dyno tuner, it shouldn't take more than an hour to dial it in. Fuel injection usually takes 3 and sometimes 4 hours to dial in. Fuel injection can usually be dialed in to the perfect AFR, especially if O2 sensors are used in line with a fuel injection system. You can do it yourself by just changing the jets and reading your plugs till you see that nice burn on both your plugs. If they're not burning the same, check the intake seals for any leaks. Again, I definitely recommend calling S&S to get as close as you can get from the start. Good luck and best regards to you. - Stone

·
Registered
2004 Street Pro S&S twin v 124. Baker 6 speed
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
On Youtube Kevin Baxter of Baxters Garage has a video wherein he diagnoses sparkplug color and color location. It’s an in-depth review and very much worth watching. Should be very helpful to you with your situation.
I did see that. Very informative, so I was looking for some guidance on this forum for the possible remedy for me.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts