V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hard to tell from pictures on the internet. But they look too black for my taste.

Are you reading these plugs after a high-speed blast, where you cut the motor while you are on it. Or is this after normal putting around town?

And are you using any octane booster, or maybe some other fuel additive? I remember some posts about this a while back.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR -1369

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dead rich.....

Fresh fuel
Fresh plugs, get copper plugs not exotics.
You can sometimes save a plug by burning off the carbon with propane torch.
But you can only get a real read on a fresh plug.

A new plug should look almost brand new, very clean.
It will have a shadow or ashy grey pallor.

·
Registered
2004 Street Pro S&S twin v 124. Baker 6 speed
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to tell from pictures on the internet. But they look too black for my taste.

Are you reading these plugs after a high-speed blast, where you cut the motor while you are on it. Or is this after normal putting around town?

And are you using any octane booster, or maybe some other fuel additive? I remember some posts about this a while back.
No octane booster, normal riding and she runs great. Some additional info. I had an intake leak, not sure for how long and I replaced the manifold so while it was off I took some pics of the intake ports and saw what appears to be carbon build up. I was going to pull the heads but got lazy and put her back together. Any thoughts? She doesn’t blow any black smoke but the pipes were pretty sooty when I replaced the exhaust gaskets while I had the tank off and waiting for intake.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Bicycle part

Helmet Automotive tire Door Gas Tints and shades

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks bad fat to me. But that can just be from lots of cold starts and idling. Not getting run long or hard enough to let them burn clean.
I might be guilty of just short runs and my last battery issue caused me to limp home at idle speed for about 8 miles. Going to do a compression test this week to eliminate any issues there.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
I go with what thermodyne says,,,, how far out is the air fuel mix screw? If it is less than 1.5 out,, the low jet is too large,, if it is closer to 1.75-2 turns out it is too lean... however your jetting is in the range a 124 runs best with... so,, I would drop the low speed jet 1 size to 35, and increase the air bleed to 210-220. This will bring the main in later

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I go with what thermodyne says,,,, how far out is the air fuel mix screw? If it is less than 1.5 out,, the low jet is too large,, if it is closer to 1.75-2 turns out it is too lean... however your jetting is in the range a 124 runs best with... so,, I would drop the low speed jet 1 size to 35, and increase the air bleed to 210-220. This will bring the main in later
Thanks I will check the mixing screw to verify, I’ve never done a compression test so I will, to eliminate anything there. I did want to mention the carb also has a thunder jet but I don’t think that should be a factor here. I did just switch to non- ethanol 93 fuel but haven’t even burned a tank of that yet. Thanks again for all your guidance gentlemen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know what kind of ballpark you are talking about, but those look too rich and it's wet at the base of the grounding strap. From the pictures looks like oil.
Its rich, a little bit, are u maybe using the enrichining/ choke a little to long after start?
That will do that quicker than anything.
Couple of throttle blips, full choke down to a half or a quarter and closed in a couple min.
Had the exact problem on my shovel when i got the s&s carb

·
Registered
155 Posts
Got the accelerator pump on my super e so a couple squirts and she's on. I do however fan the enrichener until it levels out. Fresh build, playing with jets finally got some color on the plugs and inside the pipes and life is good.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,898 Posts
Its rich, a little bit, are u maybe using the enrichining/ choke a little to long after start?
That will do that quicker than anything.
Couple of throttle blips, full choke down to a half or a quarter and closed in a couple min.
Had the exact problem on my shovel when i got the s&s carb
Why are you asking him? He isn't the one asking about his spark plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On Youtube Kevin Baxter of Baxters Garage has a video wherein he diagnoses sparkplug color and color location. It’s an in-depth review and very much worth watching. Should be very helpful to you with your situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts