V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics are of spark plug I pulled from my '05 Ultra. After 8400 miles, this bike doesn't seem to be one of the '05s with oil consumption problems (knock on wood). Bike came off the line in late June 2005 - bought it new and have had it 7 months.

I welcome any observations of the plug, which is the stock 6R-12. Bike is a mild 95" with SE air cleaner, DFO (and Stage 1 download), and Rineharts.

Much thanks.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I'm not sure about the plug......But I'd change my brand of BEER, come on you ride a Harley that is made in America and you drink a beer that is owned by a South African company............Shame on you!!!!!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oaksmith said:
I'm not sure about the plug......But I'd change my brand of BEER, come on you ride a Harley that is made in America and you drink a beer that is owned by a South African company............Shame on you!!!!!!!

Hey now - I likes my High Life. I have to admit I'm also right partial to Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, and Sam Adams, though; so no worries, I try to do my part to support our fine American breweries.:cheers:

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
You may want to put in a fresh set of plugs and do a throttle chop to better determine the condition of the engine and air fuel ratio settings.
Just pulling the plug will only give you a general idea of the condition of the engine, which shows a somewhat normal looking plug with 8k+ miles, a bit too dark though.
The heat range looks to be in the ballpark.
The porcelin looks clear from what we can see.
But the base ring needs work, looks oily or the AF is off a bit.

First you will need to know what to look for:
The Ground Strap = Heat Range
The Plug's Base Ring = Jetting
The Porcelain = signs of preignition/detonation

Ground strap:
If the ground strap shows color change close to the end this means the plug is too cold.
If the ground strap shows color changes where it meets the base ring then the plug is too hot.
Ideally the color should be half way up the ground strap.

Base Ring:
The base ring (the part above the first threads) shows the air fuel ratio,
****ideally you need to do a throttle chop for each specific circuit of the carb or throttle position in EFI.
A clean or tan base ring is tetering on leanness.
A light charcoal color is in the ballpark.
A dark or black color is too rich.

The Porcelin:
The porcelain best shows preignition/detonation it will not accurately reveal jetting/air/fuel settings.
**Search the white porcelain for tiny black specks or shiny specks of aluminum that have fused to the porcelain that is an indication of detonation. Also look for tiny specks/balls of aluminum coming off the pistons that will be fused to white porcelain or cracked or missing porcelin.

·
Banned
249 Posts
oaksmith said:
at least Miller is union made beer...not like Bud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts