V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mr. DYNOJET: Spark knock/pinging in high gears under load, backfire while shifting

I need my PC-V map adjusted to try and eliminate spark knock and backfire while shifting

With the current PC-V map I've attached the bike runs and sounds great, but when cruising at 65 to 75 MPH around 2500-3200 RPM's specially in 6th gear and accelerating trying to go up hill or trying to pass someone it will ping or you hear spark knocking causing me to have to back off the throttle or downshift.

Also, sometimes when taking off from a stop and shifting from 1st to 2nd gear if you change gears at a higher RPM range when you pull the clutch you hear a backfire, sometimes from 2nd to 3rd gear also.

Other than those 2 issues the bike runs great with this map, any help on where to adjust this map or an adjusted map I could download would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
what are you riding?
does it king and knock if you downshift to fifth?
I think you may be lugging it a bit,,, 6th gear at under 75mph, sounds like a downshift to me..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike is a 2008 Electra Glide, was orig. a 96" but now has the S.E. 103" kit with flat top pistons, the S.E. 255 cams, and the S.E. air intake. Even when I downshift to 5th gear if I pull the throttle hard like trying to pass someone or going up a steep incline it pings sometimes. On the 1st to 2nd shift backfire and sometimes on 2nd to 3rd shift if I shift right away it doesn't do it but then I'd be lugging it so I shift at higher RPM's and when I let go the throttle and pull the clutch you hear a backfire pop.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
The PC5 has adjustments in every gear at every rpm and engine speed at all throttle positions,,,, honestly it is really a bit too adjustable for most builds...
yoir file won't open for me,, so..... I can't comment on where I would change it.
generally if it is pinging,, make a mental note of the road speed, rpm, throttle position, and gear.. then open the map at those settings,, increase fuel, back timing down a degree or two, or both..
also the 9nboard diagnostics will tell you which cylinder is p inging to assist in timing adjustments..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Current PC-V map as it currently is

These are some pics I took of my current map as it is right now, two are the fuel maps for the front and rear cylinders, and the other two are the ignition timing maps for the front and rear cylinders.
Bike's a 2008 FLHTC/E.G.C. with a S.E. 103 kit, S.E. 244 cams, and the S.E. air intake. As previously stated with this map as is it runs and sounds great if you baby it, but it pings when it's under a load, like if you get on it hard to pass someone or going up a steep incline even in 5th gear around 2750-3100 RMP's it will ping. Also when taking off from a stop if you get near 3000 RPM's on 1st and then shift to 2nd you hear an exhaust backfire pop, sometimes from 2nd to 3rd also.
Any help on where to make adjustments to this current map to try and correct those issues is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Hopalong
310 Posts
Looking at the difference between a SEST 96" stage 1 2008 map and a 103/255 stage 2 SEST map, I notice large timing differences, due to the increased compression and changed cam timing. I copy and pasted the changes to your map, and added fuel to reduce decel pop (left few columns). I suggest you compare the two maps to see what's different.
The usual disclaimers apply: use at your own risk, your mileage may vary, no warranty expressed or implied, internet maps come with no guarantee of application, etc.
Oh, ya- 50/50 promise-if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces :)

Attachments

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,916 Posts
These are some pics I took of my current map as it is right now, two are the fuel maps for the front and rear cylinders, and the other two are the ignition timing maps for the front and rear cylinders.
Bike's a 2008 FLHTC/E.G.C. with a S.E. 103 kit, S.E. 244 cams, and the S.E. air intake. As previously stated with this map as is it runs and sounds great if you baby it, but it pings when it's under a load, like if you get on it hard to pass someone or going up a steep incline even in 5th gear around 2750-3100 RMP's it will ping. Also when taking off from a stop if you get near 3000 RPM's on 1st and then shift to 2nd you hear an exhaust backfire pop, sometimes from 2nd to 3rd also.
Any help on where to make adjustments to this current map to try and correct those issues is appreciated.
Decel pop (which is basically what's happening on your shifts) is usually fixed by adding fuel across all rpm above 1500 at 0% and maybe 2% throttle. Play with it a little adding about 5% fuel per step to try it out.

The pinging can be worked out by doing what TT said, retard the timing a little (1 or 2 degrees at a time) at the cells in the table that match the conditions where you get the ping. Also, trying to pull a hill at 2500rpm in 6th gear is asking for pinging. If downshifting helps then do it.

That said, your map doesn't seem to match exactly with the M15-011-138 map from the DJ web site. Did you tweak it? Run autotune? Also, consider that the settings in the PCV tables are modifying the settings stored in the ECM. I think the map for a factory 103 engine will be different than a map for a factory 96 that has been bored to make a 103 since it still has the ECM that came with the 96.

You need to get a map built for the current ECM flash, so, if the ECM has been flashed at some point, then you need to know what that base map is to know how it should be augmented by the PCV tables.

The point is that when you see a "0" in a cell on the table, it doesn't actually mean 0, it just means that the setting for that condition in the ECM is not being modified. A "5" in a fuel cell doesn't mean 5% duty cycle on the fuel pulse, it means it is using the ECM setting increased by 5%. So, be sure that your ECM has not been flashed and confirm that the map you are using with the note "for stock ECM" is meant for the 96 ECM.

·
Registered
16,091 Posts
;5858488 said:
The point is that when you see a "0" in a cell on the table, it doesn't actually mean 0, it just means that the setting for that condition in the ECM is not being modified. A "5" in a fuel cell doesn't mean 5% duty cycle on the fuel pulse, it means it is using the ECM setting increased by 5%.
I have a feeling I just learned something important.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts