V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now follow this time line carefully folks and see if you find anything wrong here.
12:00 PM Went at lunch with a buddy to the local stealer and they had a new Electra Glide in the showroom(gets me thinkin')
2:00 PM Called stealer to ask if the bike was sold or if it was available("Nope, it's not sold")
3:40 PM Arrive at dealer on way home from work and start talking to the salesman who makes believe you're not there.
Here is where it gets good. Tell him my wife sat on one the other day and thinks it would be nice to travel on. I asked out of curiosity what my '02 Dyna would be worth in trade. Is it financed?(none of his business)Do I have the title?(again, none of his F****n' business)Do I know that I would lose a lot of money on it because it is considered a used bike?(I ought to know, Ive been riding the goddamn thing)"We have trouble selling Dynas, nobody wants them"(I wanted one) It's ONLY a Superglide(when I looked at it, it was a SUPERGLIDE yee ha!)
After trying to make me look stupid while doing a fine job of making himself look like the ignorant asshole that he is he said he would go get the owner to take a look at my bike.(note: not once did he ask whether or not I NEEDED to trade my bike in)The owners office is about 30 feet away from where we are standing and he heads over there. TEN MINUTES LATER,(ten minutes to ask him to look at a bike?) he strolls his ass out and informs me that not only is there a deposit on it but there is a backup deposit as well!!!!!! Do ya think he should have already known that considering they only have about five new Harleys in the showroom?I guess those Electra Glide Standards are flyin' off the showroom floor! Sooooooo....... maybe I'm just crazy and these guys are as honest as the day is long. Geez, now I feel bad, Maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt. Before you gus tell me what you think, read the timeline again. DO YA THINK THAT IF THEY DIDN'T WANT ANY TRADE INS THEY COULD HAVE JUST COME OUT AND TOLD ME? Enough ramblings. I really don't need to trade the bike in and was ready to take the loss, pay the difference and have it to ride for the weekend. Havin' a lousy week, sorry.
Ride loud and proud!
Sheepboy

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Often the salemen are less than perfectly honest but often times they are really ignorant as to what is what around the dealership. I think that as cunning as this saleman seemed to be that the bike really was held for a buyer. After all, he could have offered you a rediculous price for the trade in and really bumped up the price on the new one just to see if he was talking to a sucker. I'd look for another dealer if I was really interested in getting a new bike...but keep in mind that they make money on both ends in a trade in. You may be better off finding a buyer for your bike then working on the new bike price at different dealerships. It seems like you were just testing the waters anyway.

Later,

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Don't take the loss on the Dyna. Keep it. You need two bikes. One as a backup of course.:D I would look elsewhere. Even if it means driving(riding) a little.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Did ya at least get your free copy of Thunder Press?

I,like most of us I'm sure,have little patience for these bloodsucking weasels masquerading as dealers! If I'm not treated the way I deserve to be treated, I'm outta there.If they evidently don't need my business, that's cool,screw 'em! I believe in what comes around,goes around.Good old fashioned karma,whatever you choose to call it.

If I were ready to "deal" I'd find a dealer who remembers what service & loyalty are all about.

As far as ignorant salesman,I have a hard ol' time with that one.If I performed this way regularly on my job I'd be out the door.With only 5 or 6 new bikes on the floor, how could this friggin' rocket scientist not know the status of em'?

I know all about supply & demand,what people are willing to pay to ride right now,etc. But I don't care what anyone says,this is NO way to run a business!! This may be an overly simplistic attitude, but I believe it is a very basic,simple concept.Treat the customer with respect.

Isn't this why we like our scooters? Simple,honest,hard working machines with soul? I think some dealers need to be reminded of this in a rather large way!

Buyer Beware!!

OK,I'm done now.
guido

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Take it from someone that has bought quite a few of them, including for others, and even a member of this board.

Look around for as long as it takes to make up your mind what exact bike you want. In this case you knew what bike you wanted.

When they told you the bike was available, I would have asked for at least the sales manager if not the owner and then told him I'll take the bike. If that is OK with them, then I tell them how much I will give them for the bike and how much they will give me for the old one.
All they can say is no, but you will be surprised how often they say yes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HDs

Dealers can do whatever they want. Most of the bikes are sold before they get there. Our local dealer likes trades, especially HD trades. They give you book prices on your trade, or they'll take in on consignment. For me, it's easier that way. I don't have to worry about a lot of people in my garage or wanting to test ride my bike. Let the dealer handle it.

Ken

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Highrider

We got EVERYTHING in the water up here. Lookin' for anything in particular? (got this fat ass largemouth out back of the house that goes around 10-12 pounds that I seem to keep losing:D )
Sheepboy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts