V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does pinging sound like (can't wait to hear this!). I know what V-8 engines sound like when the valves clatter. Is is similar?????

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Spark Knock

The only way I know how to describe it is "breaking glass".
You do not want that noise.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
shrinkman2 said:
So what does pinging sound like (can't wait to hear this!). I know what V-8 engines sound like when the valves clatter. Is is similar?????
Not similar to valve clatter sound. The term "ping" is not a very good description of the actual sound at all. When I think of a "ping" I think of a submarine using sonar.

You might remember back in the seventies and eighties when cars had a lot of bolt on smog stuff. A lot of times when you shut off an engine it would keep running for a second or two. Often with that "after-run" you would hear engine knock. Very similar sound to what we call PING.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang, that's a pretty good description guys. I was expecting all kinds of answers about "a sound". Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If your bike is going to ping you will hear it when
1 The motor is HOT and you are twisting the throttle in a high gear.
2 You are climbing a very steep hill in high gear.
3 You bought some bad gas.

Pinging sounds like small pebbles slowly being thrown into a glass jar.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Pinging, knocking, clater, grinding, hissing, poping,choking, stalling, burbeling,tinging , tinging, ticking, tacking, tapping,crakleing, are all normal engine sounds. Unless you want a noiseless engine, there dont exsit one. Period. All the above can be lessened to to a degree to your comfort level. LOL:wacko:

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
"all normal engine sounds"

angleflights said:
Pinging, knocking, clater, grinding, hissing, poping,choking, stalling, burbeling,tinging , tinging, ticking, tacking, tapping,crakleing, are all normal engine sounds. Unless you want a noiseless engine, there dont exsit one. Period. All the above can be lessened to to a degree to your comfort level. LOL:wacko:

That's the same thing my service manager says.:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the reason I asked!! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
So in the mean time I have been wearing ear plugs and problem solved!

:hystria: :hystria: :hystria: :whatever: :hystria: :hystria:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I think the sound depends on the severity of the ping.

A light ping, IMO, sounds like someone throwing tiny stones at your heat shields. If your bike sounds like an '87 2.2 chrysler knocking, id say you got some problems.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just got back from Phoenix, where I rented a 2007 Heritage for a few days.

When I was first riding it, I thought something was rattling around the front fender - like pebbles, or small metallic objects being thrown up by the tire and rattling around the fender.

But it was happening too much to be that, on "clean" open roads.

Then I noticed that it was happening when I opened the throttle in 6th, under load. And disappearing if I geared down. Tested it a few more times - clearly the engine pinging, although it didn't sound like any other engine pinging I've heard.

Rental bike, last clown probably filled it with 87 octane. A couple tanks of 91 octane (highest I could find) reduced the pinging significantly. Didn't eliminate it by any means - still could make it happen by putting on too much load in too high a gear. Had to be a little careful - guess I'm a lugger (I run a tach on my Deuce and notice I do have a tendency to run low RPMs a bit - but the Deuce does NOT ping).

FWIW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts