V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the sound difference with the Screaming Eagle slip on mufflers...which I have now and the new double barrel 16 gauge exhaust?

Also is the ecm program the same as I already have that done. I am happy with the performance but sure would like more sound.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
477 Posts
16 Guage

I just put the 16 guage on my 2002 last Saturday, at idle, they are really deep, kinda like a big block chevy sound. The idle sound is the best in my opinion, much more than the SE1s. As the revs increase, it sounds Ducati kinda, its nice, again, more authoritive than SE1. The ECM flash program from HD is different than SE1 program, but I'm using a PC3 anyway. As far as performance, couple guys have stated they cannot tell any perf. difference than stock mufflers and I agree completely. Yes, it sounds better, makes some noise but I really cannot feel any difference. There was a guy on the Bub's forum who drag races his VROD quite a bit, did a good bit of testing and he stated best performance, times were with the old silent stock muffs, go figure. If you value a nice deep low sound, the 16 guage are a vast improvement over stock or SE1s in my opinion.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ditto what Polizio said. I listened to both before opting for the double barrels. It SOUNDS like perforance is enhanced but this may be an illussion, but its a nice illussion!

Pete

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dave

I cannot tell you the difference between the HD reflash programs as I personally have no experience using them, but let me share this little tidbit with you. The Powercommander 3R comes with a map installed from factory, its an improvement over stock EPA lean mapping in stock ECM. This map is for a totally stock VROD. After I installed my 16 guage muffs, I d/loaded the correct map for SE air filter, 16 guage pipe combo. Within the PC software, you can compare 2 maps side by side, and low and behold, the new map for 16 guage combo has lower fuel corrections across the map grid than map for stock bike. To explain somewhat, a map grid shows rpm in 500 increments from 500 to 9000 rpm on left, and throttle position up top in 10% increments from 0 to 100%. So at any given throttle position or rpm, you can lean or richen mixture anywhere from 0 to 25% over stock ecm settings. The PC3 is awesome. So I called Dynojet to enquire why 16 guage map has lower fuel corrections generally, across the board, versus stock map. My theory is with 16 guage and SE air filter, bike should be able to flow more air, hence more fuel than stock setup. That is the fundimental of performance increases. The guy couldn't explain why to me, so I'm now running original stock map again. This substantiates other evidence (like the drag racer) that stock muffs may just outperform 16 guage to a small degree.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
IMO there is a difference in power with the 16 ga. SE setup. There seems to be more midrange horsepower (between 55-75mph) which is just where it needed to be. The sound is much better all the way around, no question, and I will not be hitting the rev limiter again, because I can finally hear the rpms. The difference in the ride is surprising to me, it just seems like a different bike...more harley davidson and less honda davidson.

·
Registered
477 Posts
DAVE GOLDNER

After reviewing my Dynojet PC3 maps for SE1 exhaust and 16 guage, I'd forgo another HD reflash if u decide to install 16 guage muffs, provided you already have ECM reprogramming for SE1s. Fuel curve is actually slightly fatter for SE1s than 16 guage muffs, similar to what I stated about stock muffs to 16 guage maps.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dave.........

You might hold off and give a look at these new Supertrapp pipes Superkaz is raving about before buying the 16 Guage. He's posting some strong numbers there. Just a thought......

·
Registered
477 Posts
DAVE GOLDER

Scratch the Supertrapp, butt ugly, ain't worth the slight edge (See pic of red vrod with supertrapp). That is one ugly system in my opinion.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I agree with Polizzio, I wouldn't care if the supertrapp gave me 100 hp, they are aesthetically JC Whitney material.

JMS

·
Registered
110 Posts
It seems like the stock set-up outperforms everything else, except no sound. The answer maybe v-mod. So far, only great reviews. 117 rwhp!
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
725 Posts
vrodtom said:
It seems like the stock set-up outperforms everything else, except no sound. The answer maybe v-mod. So far, only great reviews. 117 rwhp!
ride safe
vrodtom
I'm thinking about ordering a V-Rod. My plan is to go with the Screaming Eagle exhaust (not 16 gauge) and ECU. Are you saying the Screaming Eagle upgrades deliver more sound but subtract engine performance?

Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I bought the SEII kit from the dealer today and got home tonight and was going to put it on but it says I need a air temp senser relocating kit because I have an 02 and also need to buy an extra clamp...oh well so I guess it will not go on until later....bummer.

·
Registered
603 Posts
sfarson : Yes, different waveform patterns will be emitted from the SE exhaust, causing altered movement of your tympanic membranes which may increase endorphin production by your brain causing increased excitation; No, the SE exhaust will increase the 60 degree, v-twin, water cooled, reciprocating, hydrocarbon powered, internal combustion engine performance slightly.

JMS

·
Registered
477 Posts
DAVE

As far as the clamp, you absolutely don't need to buy a new one. You can use the old one, just spred it open with ur hands after u get old exhaust off. You remove old pipes as an assembly, from clamp back. I reused mine, no problem, just don't beat on it with a hammer or anything. After loosening clamp completely, rock assembly up and down, side to side while pulling from rear of pipes, put a towel between swingarm and muffs to prevent scratching. Just follow directions with 16 guage pipes, its a piece of cake. Also put bike in first before pulling from rear on pipes. As far as relocating sensor, I didn't do it immediately, go read my thread in VROD Engine Technical group. You really don't need to relocate it unless you experience a hot idle problem, like stalling in heavy traffic. I relocated mine myself, extended sensor to front of airbox, extended factory 2 wire harness. I cannot tell any difference between original location and new. My bike idled just fine in original position. I'd put those puppies on promtly. I really believe HD is just trying to sell some parts, there is absolutely no reason not to reuse clamp unless some dumbass takes a hammer and chisel to it. Go read my thread "Need some of you expert vrod...........". Its a easy swap. Have fun Dave.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Steve,

If you believe HD's graphic published in their 2003 parts catalog the SE 16 gauge, filter and remapping produce about 5 to 7 HP beginning about 5000RPM+ and 3 to 5 foot lbs of torque beginning at about 4500 RPM.

I have a 2003 with the SE double barrels (16ga) and love them. The sound is a great improvement over stock. I don't however notice any real world changes in response. But, as I said before, the sound of more power is there! The V-Rod now sounds like at should with 100+ HP and not like an anemic Honda. Plus, I like hearing what the motor is doing and the fact that others can hear me. Plus, the 16ga look good on the bike.

I listened to a 2003 with the SE -1s before I opted for the SE 16s. Although there is a somewhat deeper sound at idle the difference over stock with the SE-1s is neglegable. They arnn't in my opinion worth the money.

Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Polizzo....Put it on this morning...took about 2 hours and no big deal. Sounds great at idle and about the same cruising. Much better than the SE mufflers. I ordered the relocation kit today and will put that on this week. I think I will leave the same ECM program as the SE mufflers if it is a little rivher than the SEII program.

Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 25 Posts