V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess it’s about time to introduce myself as well, sorry for not doing this earlier but just had found this form and enjoyed posting and had a few questions. And I finally read the description and wanted to formally introduce myself.

I am the typical aged Harley owner, at 45. I started riding back in the early 70’s in the fields and empty space that we once had in Northern VA. My first bike was a cCL100 Honda, (mix between street and off road), then got an SL350, (it was a pig in the dirt too heavy). Sold both when I went to college, once I was released and join the working world I ran across a good deal on a ’75 Kawasaki 900 Z1-B, which was my first street bike and was one fast bike , rode that for about 10 years. Then got into cars and sold the bike. Even though I am still into cars I decided about 5 years ago that I wanted a Harley. So I was finally was able to talk the wife into it, and she gave in said I could get one.

I rented and test rode both a Night Train and a Wide Glide and had decided to go with the Wide Glide, both were real nice but the Wide Glide appealed to me more. I was told by a good friend who had started on a Sporty and now has a Dresser that I should go for fuel injection because it was a lot easier to live with and you don’t have to worry about a choke. I also wanted dual front calipers, since I have been involved in Sports Car racing that is one think I think you can’t have enough of is brakes. So looking at the Dyan and waiting for fuel injection to come along Harley announced this new bike they were going to make call the V-Rod. Looking at the specs it looked real good, a lot of what I wanted and that I won’t have to pay extra to get it. Also after getting the accessories catalog I had 3 pages of extras I was planning on if I got the Dyna, which somewhat concerned the wife; something about being able to eat, you know.

Anyway I then saw the show on Discovery on the V-Rod and really liked what I saw and how it was being developed. Plus in the accessory catalog the V-Rod only had 10 pages of accessories, which made the wife much happier, then the small phone book of accessories available for the Dyna.

So off to the Dealer put my name on a list late Oct 01, (I shopped around for about 2 months to find a Dealer that was at MSRP on the V-Rod, which was somewhat of a chore). The deal was they would call everyone on their list when they knew how many they would get in and the first X number to put $500 down got the first allocation. They called on a Thursday, in late Nov. I couldn’t talk the wife into going to the Dealer until Saturday because we were going to be in the area for something else and “if it was to be” they’d still have one left. Well walked into the Dealership they had one their, in the showroom, the first time I saw a real one. A lot of crusty Harley guys circled it like sharks after bait, commenting: “it looks rice”, “*** bike” and other not too nice things. However I liked it, it was low, long, clean, and shiny, and it really appealed to me. So, I walked up to the salesperson and asked how many orders they had gotten, she said 7, out of the 13 they had allocated. I told she now had 8; she looked me straight in the eye and said “Did we call you?” Well to make a long story short they finally did take my money, once they found that I was indeed on their list, and I took delivery in mid-May, and have been very happy with my new Harley.

Sorry for this being so long, but I just wanted to formally introduce myself and thank you guys for having such a cool BB, this has been very helpful and everyone is very nice.

Thanks again,

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome VA V-ROD

I am pretty new myself, I have searched for Harley forums and so far this is the best one I have found. I have picked up some good info on this site and everybody here is real helpful. Once again welcome aboard and enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
BrownHornet said:
I am pretty new myself, I have searched for Harley forums and so far this is the best one I have found. I have picked up some good info on this site and everybody here is real helpful. Once again welcome aboard and enjoy!!!!
My sentiments exactly. Glad you like and enjoy the V-Rod. Everybodies tastes are different. I enjoy and love my Sportster, and am pursuing a SuperGlide or a Dyna. Those big boys just are'nt for me. (They just don't fit through my urban driveway! Hey, sounds like a country song!:D)

Thanks for telling your story!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome VA V-rod, I guess I wouldn't be one of those "crusty" Harley guys. I like the V-Rod! But then again. I like all Harleys.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I do really like this form you guys are helpful and friendly, and I also like all Harleys, it's real cool that each bike has it's own personality. I belong to the local HOG chapter and I can say they are a fantastic group of people and I can see that same types of folks are on this BB too.

Thanks again,

Dave

·
Registered
695 Posts
Welcome,
I bet you're really enjoying your new bike. Every time I see a V-Rod go by I just have to look. It catches the eye of a lot of people. Maybe after I get mine we could hookup for a ride -- I'm guessing that you're my neighbor.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cox9000, you are on, that would be great.

About being my neighbor, do you just finish up the basic motorcycle training out at NVCC and waiting on your Wide Glide from Washington HD? I do have a neighbor who is waiting for his new bike that was the worst part of the whole purchasing phase was the wait, at least for me. But I do have a neighbor one street up and two houses down who is get a bike shortly. But if this is not you, I would still be very interested in getting together; I just live outside Springfield and belong to Fairfax HOG.

Oh if you haven' t taken the basic rider course you should consider it, great course.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard Dave. I rode a V rod for about 5 hours yesterday while my FLHPI was at the dealer getting some work done. What a rocket !!! Kinda quiet for my tastes though, but that can be changed. Repeatedly I was stopped by someone wanting to ask questions, etc. Looks like the Vrod is here to stay !
twincamzz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.