V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellows, I'm going to start a new thread because sometimes a new question in a old thread gets over looked.

I've got everything wired up for the passing lamps and guess what? YES, they don't come on!

Not being the smartest guy about this stuff, I grab my 12 volt test light thingie and start tracing from the battery on. I have power to the connector I couldn't find yesterday and I got power to where it goes into the "Relay" for the passing lamps but I don't get any power on any of the other wires leaving the relay. I have no idea what a relay does, but other then the wire going into it from the B+ connector has power, no power on the other terminals. All other lights work on the bike as normal except for the passing lamps. What does a relay do and can I pass to to see if the pass lamps work and to check all my other connectors? The bike is not running, does that matter?

You guys were great yesterday........so please impress me some more!

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Don't know about the rest, but a relay takes a low amp input from a switch and closes the circuit within the relay that has a wire going in and coming out capable of handling the high amp draw of the lamps.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You wont get power to the relay till you flip the switch. Did you flip the switch on?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.........Started to look else where since the relay question was answered,,,,,,first thing was the problem, Butt Splice Connector in the Head light didn't connect!!! I never did like using them, so I went without it and every thing is working fine.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I wouldn't butt splice anything in these bikes. You need to solder all connections and shrink wrap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts