V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ex just passed away from a freak parachuting accident just over 2 weeks ago. **** I had'nt gotten over losing my aunt in September when this happen. Well me and my son went to Eugene, Oregon for a week to help plan funeral arrangements with the family what an emotional time. But everything went as my ex would have wanted it as far a funeral and memorial (done at the bar he worked at) The problem I'm having is my ex had just bought a brand new 2003 Dyna Glide he had only had for 2 months and it looks like my son will inherit it. I'm straight up worried about him riding it. I told him to practice on my Sportster (but it is just not the same) Well anyway it won't replace his dad. **** I would give anything to bring his dad back to him even turn over my bike. But when God calls you home that's it. Just needed to talk about it. I don't want to lose my son on no flipping bike accident. Oh well just a mother voicing her concerns. Thanks for listening.

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Gotta let him ride cheri. Make him take the safety classes, put him on some dirt bikes, but in the end you have to let him go. I'm so sorry about the XOM, one day they're here next day their gone. Can't let that keep you from letting his son be the kind of man his dad was, just like you fell for his dad, your son will grow up to be who he was meant to be, for some nice girl to catch...

I'm the father of a 18 year old boy who rides, it's not that I don't worry, but, that's my problem not his.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry ta hear about yer "X",.. I'm Guessing, as pretty as you are, there are many men knocking at your door,...find 1 that's "Straight up" N ask him to teach him the ropes,...no offense, BUT, Mom's are better @ listenin, than teachin.........also, keeps you outta "Yellin" part

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
First and formost my condolances. Tough time, I know.

The decision to ride is your Sons alone. It could well be something that helps with the loss of his Dad. That bike could become a very special bonding tool. Out on the road, riding alone up PCH. You know there will be moments where he is talking to his Dad.

Let him know your concerns and work with him on a saftey class. It will be OK.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the condolences. I did let my son know that he would have to take a safety class first and then he can practice on my harley. It will probably be months down the road before he will go and get it. At first he talked about just parking it in a garage and leaving it. I told him his father would not have wanted that. He always told Jesse he would come down from Oregon and they would ride harley's together. If my son Jesse does decide to ride his father's bike he will still be with him and I will ride along side. Told my son he just has a big old angel now to be with him always.

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
My conodlences too.

Everyone's made very good points about the bike. The only thing I can add that may offer a little reassurance is that in my opinion the FXD is easier to ride than the Sportster, mainly due to a lower seat height and lower centre of gravity.

Mike

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. For what it's worth, I think you are doing all you can for your son. You're right, he's got an angel riding with him now.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I want to extend my condolances to you also. I lost my father two years ago December 6th. I know what your son is going through, as I'm sure my Mom knows what you are going through. From the wise one, JimmyK, the decision to ride is your son's. When I bought my Harley, it wasn't popular with the parental unit. My parents were against it, but my father had already passed when I bought it. However, my Mom accepted it as best she could and is dealing with it. Even though I haven't started riding it, she continues to worry about me as you will worry about your son. I am sure you accept the risks when riding, as he will when or if he decides to ride. Life isn't worth livin' if it's done in a cage, looking out. I've explained that to my Mom and I ask that you think about it too. Your Ex was a jumper, so risk taking for excitement obviously runs in the family. Just support and love him. That's your job. Just my 0.02, from an overly protected only child.:D J.T.

P.S. As JimmyK stated, when he's out there riding, he'll be talking to his Dad. I know I will be.

·
Registered
296 Posts
First, I'm sorry for your and your son's loss, time makes things easier to handle. How old is your son? Just tell him to take it slow he has his whole life to enjoy riding that bike and rembering his father.
Jeff

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cheri, May God be with you and your son during your time of grieving ...

My son, daughter and one step son do not ride yet. This is great. I think 24 or 25 is a good age to start. The other step son is 20 and rides a Suzuki 600 Katana. He has already lost his license once (speeding tickets) and just loves to ride fast.

To ease my mind and his mother's we ...

1. Sit him down two or three times a week and preach safety tips to him from our years of experience. (Somtimes a pop quiz)

2. Cut out safety tips from magazines and leave them on his desk.

3. Make sure he is not neglecting maintenance (tires, tire pressure, etc)

4. Pray alot ...

5. Ride together as often as possible to show the way it should be done.

Your in a great position to do some of this since you ride yourself.
I can actually see a lot of improvement in his maturity and judgment over the last couple of years.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all the nice words. My son Jesse is 23 and he just left last week to be with his son (my grandson) Jesse James who's going to be 4 in January 2003. Since Jesse lost his dad he had a real urge to be with his own son which is understandable. We talked over the weekend about his dad's bike. He does not want to sell it and will eventually ride it but it will be a few months from now before we go get it. Jesse is'nt in any hurry and I'm glad about that. I've told Jesse like this: before you and your dad was separated by States his father in Oregon and Jesse in California. Now nothing separates him from his father now because he is with him always .. and he will always look out for him and his son. Especially when we all go out riding together.. I know for sure Chris will be with us. God rest his soul.... Love you Chris....Have my leathers waiting when I get called home cause the first thing we are going to do is ride those harley's in heaven...

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Very touching Cheri, You're going to have a thousand bikers wiping tears from their eyes !!!!!! He's watching over you too....

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Alien - You know I just can't get into the Christmas spirit this year. Usually I'm the first one out buying presents and decorating it is my favorite time of the year but with my ex dying so suddenly and although we had not been together in over 20 years I still loved him. He went so fast. He was only 44 years of age still had a whole life time ahead of him. He always rode hard, played hard, and did everything. He had a pilot license, he had just been certified for scuba diving and he loved parachuting but he always told his son if he went out doing what he loved don't be upset cause that's the way he would have wanted to go.. Just wish he could have came to California just once so him and me and our son could have rode together. I still cry about that...Just goes to show you, that you always figure loved ones will be around forever... Life is just to darn short...

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Life is to darn short, don't let life slip by. Say the things you want to say and do the things you want to do. No telling how mant tomorrows are left. I wish I could help with your Christmas, personally I'm skipping it this year........

Mark aka
Rusty knight

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish I could skip it. But noooo.... Just a time to celebrate life I guess. And do what we need to do on this earth while we are on this earth.

Merry X-MAS Mark.

Cheri aka Medicine Woman

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Cheri, I have a 100% cure all for the holiday blues. I read " A christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. Its a short book, takes about 2 or 3 hours to read. If you think you know the story because you've seen the movie, you'll be very surprised. Although there are some good versions out there, none come close to reading the book. I guarantee you, come away with a new found appreciation for the "true meaning of christmas."

You can get the paperback for a couple bucks, or get it out at the library. Also online for free. - Have a Merry Christmas Cheri, You still have alot to be Merry about!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts