V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, so much for being able to leave my helmet hangin' on the handlebars...today while I was eatin' lunch, somone stole it! I can't tell you how pissed I was (and still am!) On top of the expense, the feeling of being ripped off, etc. - - they left me without a helmet to ride with! Luckily I was close to home, but they didn't know that (and didn't give a rats A$$ either!)

Okay, enough with the venting. I'll be buying a lock to always secure my next helmet. Has anyone else had their helmet ripped off?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Damn, in a helmet State too. Sorry to hear that.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your loss, now to hear something that i'm sure you don't want to hear, how come you did not just take your helmet with you?
I will NEVER leave me $400 helmet on my bike:eek: I don't even like the idea of locking my helmet in the trunk.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Markcuda said:
I don't even like the idea of locking my helmet in the trunk.

In the trunk of what?

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
In the top trunk on a 2003, Ultra Classic Electra Glide. It is a trunk in my book but i'm sure that is not the proper name for it;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
That would never happen in Iowa :D we dont use them.
But I think I'd take it with me anyway. Some smart a$$ might just cut the strap to trash it if they couldn't have it.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I should probably always take it with me, but sometimes that's such a pain in the a$$! Of course, not as big a pain as having to buy a new one! Damn...it was just startin' to fit my head real nice too!

Everyone I ride with locks their bike up good (so do I ) but I never known any of them to lock their helmet (or take their helmet!) Guess I;ll be first!

·
Registered
629 Posts
That sucks. That is the reason I always take mine if I will be out of sight.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Steve, was it an expensive helmet? I always leave mine on the bars as well (live next door as well), but it's a $60 dot half helmet. If I have an expensive full face, I try to takr with. or at least lock. Sorry about your loss. Maybe it will save the MFs life (thinkabout that).

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, your right about it saving his life...but if I see him with it I'll kill him (okay, well maybe wound him...at least give him a good taunting!!) It was a fairly expensive full face helmet, and I was pretty dumb for leaving it there...but Burbank in the middle of the day in a busy mini-mall area??? who knew??? But I'll definitely know better next time! I'm mostly pissed that he left me stranded however far I might have been from home without a helmet! That's just plain rude.

ChopperDude, For locking the bike I use the fork lock, the bike's H-D alarm system, and one of those Kryponite disc locks...all three always!

Thanks for all the comments and support. Afterall, it's just a helmet. Movin' on with life and ridin' now! Happy Halloween all!!! :D

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
mdrsteve,

I use a small cable lock to secure my lid to my bike. Interestingly, the lock is a gun-lock from Ruger, it came with a 10/22T that I bought.

I wonder if you could check with a local gun store, I'll bet they have a box full of them. I'm sure you could score one for a couple bucks.

wyo

·
Registered
380 Posts
that is a very good idea wyodude has a gun lock cable, i have to look in to that one. hey if some a$$ cuts the strap and takes the lid he can"t use it. i guess there are lots of a holes out there. too bad.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I do the same....I carry a coated bicycle cable lock in my windshield bag. It is long enough that I can run it through the arm hole of a jacket as well as the helmet strap if I want to leave my jacket on the bike too. I've never heard of or had mine stolen but it always seemed risky to me so i usually take 30 seconds and lock it to the bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
MDRSTEVE
I feel for you. I also leave my helmet on my bars. Came out of the store one day & found it on my seat.??? Getting ready to leave and some guy walks up & says "Saved your helmet for you". Turns out some 9 year old, and his mom walk by the bike. The 9 year old grabs my helmet and walks off. Not then, nor when this fellow confronted them did the mother say one word.

I agree with you. I felt cheated that anyone would stoop to stealing a helmet. Something they clearly had no use or need for. I thanked this guy, bought a lock, and hate it every time I use it.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Had a helmet lock on my Sportster which I unsuccessfully tried to remove when I sold it. Had security screws and I did'nt have the tool to remove them. I either hang my helmet on the throttle or the right foot peg if I'm just in the door of an establishment but in work I always bring it in. Charliege leaves hers on the bars all the time. Another thing I do is leave my gloves and sunglasses with it too! I think I'd be extremely pissed if I was to find them missing!:mad: "Sorry Officer, some fuckhead stole my helmet, gloves and glasses and I'm just trying to get home safely!" Yeah, myfucken luck it will be right after a few beers!:D

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fourhour said:
Another thing I do is leave my gloves and sunglasses with it too! I think I'd be extremely pissed if I was to find them missing
Yea, did the same thing with my gloves. They're gone too, of course. I'm gonna check on the gun-lock thing.

Thanks all! Happy Haloween!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If your gonna be gone awhile, take it with you and fill it with snacks (peanuts or hardcandy), that way you won't get hungry, your helmet is safe, and you finally find a good use it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts