V-Twin Forum banner
121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Thanks George (sent you an email by the way)
I just put that clutch in, Barnett reccomended the type F, all works well except I still have a little problem with finding neutral, hence my question about going to the DexronIII instead..
(2007 FLTR stock 55k miles)
Got your e-mail. Let me know if you got it back as I got a bounced message when I replied back to you.
george

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have several customers that I have switched over to the Super Shift type F in the primary, and Severe Gear 75W-140 in the trans and never anything but great feedback! Be criticle with the clutch adjustment... 1/16 to 1/8 free play at the lever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have several customers that I have switched over to the Super Shift type F in the primary, and Severe Gear 75W-140 in the trans and never anything but great feedback! Be criticle with the clutch adjustment... 1/16 to 1/8 free play at the lever.
<<Be criticle with the clutch adjustment... 1/16 to 1/8 free play at the lever>>
Not necesarily the case, I used to always adjust the cable to those specs, discussing the same with a couple motor officer friends of mine, they said to give "more" freeplay there to get the friction zone a bit closer to the grip. At that 1/16-1/8 freeplay mark the friction zone is way out there, changing that moves it in some.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the Redline ATF or Mobile 1 ATF. Baker Clutch. Works great. Used these with a rivera pro clutch too. Clutch works great. Shifts great. If you are really worried about what ATF, Redline makes a vtwin primary fluid that is pretty much Syn ATF. My two cents. :whistle:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have just three words to clear up all the air about which ATF to run in your primary. If you want the best:
AMSOIL SUPER SHIFT !!!
Just my 2 cents...from No Cents.
:tmi:

·
Registered
8 Posts
A non issue with ATF.

Gear oil, with the sulfur that is typically in it, might be a problem.
Not to question the experts but...I tried the ATf in my 99 Ultra, did not feel much of a difference from Syn 3 but...a week later my stator burnt up-after 78,000 kms of service, maybe it was due and just coincedence but-you know how those nagging doubts are

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Not to question the experts but...I tried the ATf in my 99 Ultra, did not feel much of a difference from Syn 3 but...a week later my stator burnt up-after 78,000 kms of service, maybe it was due and just coincedence but-you know how those nagging doubts are
What would you have thought had you still been using the syn 3 when the stator went bad? What you got is a 78,000 kms 13 years of service burned up stator that has no bearing on the type of fluid used. One week on the new fluid and it gets the blame.
george

·
Registered
8 Posts
not arguing

Not arguing George, just saying, you run one thing for 5 years, try something different and bam-a failure. Just like I switched to Castrol 20w50 500 kms before my tensioner shoes failed.

I know it wasnt the ATF that toasted the stator, but the timing sure could have been better.

Thats all

·
nutsnbolts
80 Posts
I switched to type f in the primary in my 2010 FLSTFB, and what a difference! Neutral is always there, also vavoline synthetic 70w-90w in the gearbox and vavoline syn 20w-50w in the motor!!!:whistle:

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I switched to type f in the primary in my 2010 FLSTFB, and what a difference! Neutral is always there, also vavoline synthetic 70w-90w in the gearbox and vavoline syn 20w-50w in the motor!!!:whistle:
The reason for this improvement comes mostly from the lower viscosity of the ATF, which allows for instant release and engagement of the clutch plates thereby making smoother shifting.
george

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, after reading this incredibly long thread, in which much of the info is repeated, the one thing I could not find was a solid recommendation of what to use in a sportster primary/trans. I did see a post about not using ATF. My girl has a sportster and I need to know how to get it to shift smoother, be a bit less clunky, and not blow past neutral when she wants it, or into it when she doesn't. I realize that part of that is her as she hasn't been riding long, but this bike does it to me sometimes and I've been riding since '78.
smoother shifts, easier to find neutral, am I after the impossible?

121 - 140 of 176 Posts