V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'm just a beginner with maintenance issues, I bought the service manual for my 05 bagger and I'm attempting the 5k maintenance myself. Most issues are going smoothly with the following 2 exceptions:

1) Clutch adjustment. I've followed Harris's first few posted instructions on the topic but I cannot seem to budge the 11/16 outer nut (over the allen adjustment screw) under the derby cover. I did loosen the clutch cable first as instructed. My socket, however, just turns the entire primary chain instead of loosening the nut. I sprayed it with wd40, waited a few minuites - no luck. I'm tempted to take it back to the dealer who did the 1k maintenance and suggest that it was over-torqued.

2) This last question is probably embarrassingly simple. Is there a trick to removing the small C clamp which hold the clutch lever in place on the handlebar. My 53 year-old eyes can barely see it clearly. Does it just pull out? Do you have to spread the open end of the C first? My aim here is to lubricate the cable.

Any help will be appreciated.

H

·
0 Posts
The 11/16" nut tends to do that. If you take a fairly long handled ratchet, and hold the socket end on the nut with your right hand, and have the ratchet handle extending toward the front of the bike. Then smack down the end of the handle with your left hand. The sharp force will typically loosen it. An air wrench will also work, if you happen to have access to that. Of course make sure the bike is in first gear.

The "C" ring can be a pain. You can either get a pair of snap ring pliers with the very small adapters, or do what I do, which is carefully pry it out with a small flat head screwdriver. Of course it's spring steel, so if you don't keep your thumb over it, and it flies off, it will be tough to find (Guess how I know).

Harris

·
Registered
206 Posts
Piece of cake

I use an 11/16" box end wrench and hold the center with an allen wrench. Will loosen right up. As far as lubricating the cable, I do not try to remove the cable from the housing. I take the lever housing off the handlebar by removing the two torx head screws and simply hold the cable in a vertical position and use a lubricant that has the needle spout.

Glad to hear you are doing your own service. I have been doing my own for years. I get a real sense of satisfaction doing the work myself, not to mention the HUGE savings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shep

Your "piece of cake" suggestion for bypassing the C clip (snap ring) and going right for the entire housing sure makes a lot of sense for lubricating the clutch cable. I was getting a bit discouraged trying to remove that tiny piece that I could hardly see. Went to Sears today for some snap ring pliers and even those proved to be difficult as the pins were too large.

Also picked up a 7/32 hex key (instead of my using my ratchet hex) for the clutch adjustment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
if you have a bat wing you can get a better lube job un pinning the lever , routing makes it difficult too really thro the jizz to it ,a down hill slide with the oil is so much better ,, if you have a road king its not really neccesary if you take your time ,, if you leave the snap ring off the pin wont come out , or you could go to the auto parts and buy a handfull for 5 bucks , i think they are 3/8ths then you could tear hell out of the one your taking off

1 - 6 of 6 Posts