V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this thing (2000 1200C)2 weeks ago with only 2500 miles on it. The previous owner put on a screaming eagle air breather/cleaner, had it rejetted and put on Screaming eagle 2 pipes put on before he even picked up the bike and later I think, removed the baffles from them.

This thing is loud.

It is way louder then my other sporty with baffles removed from factory pipes.

My question is
Is there any negative consequences on engine life with the pipes like they are? I mean there is no back pressure, right? Does that matter with this set up? I thought I remembered reading about how it was hard on the valves or something like that.

He gave me a box with all the factory stuff he took off. I am seriously thinking about putting the factory pipes back on. They sounded just fine on my last bike. remember, the baffles are removed from them.

I think it is the big open slash cuts on the SE pipes that make this thing so loud.

If I did decide to put the factory ones back on, is it a simple procedure? Is it just as simple as removing the old ones and putting the new ones back on?

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

patsue

·
Registered
875 Posts
patsue said:

My question is
Is there any negative consequences on engine life with the pipes like they are? I mean there is no back pressure, right?

patsue

maybe some loss of low end torque, other than that it aint gonna hurt your scooter

Dude you need to enjoy the sound of the V-twin ear candy !

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Originally posted by patsue If I did decide to put the factory ones back on, is it a simple procedure? Is it just as simple as removing the old ones and putting the new ones back on ?
Yep, that's all there is to it if you decide to go back with the stock ones. Couple of muffler clamps and hanger brackets, no big deal.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Only hurts the power, and maybe your pocket if the decibles gets you in trouble. Some folks think sound means power, it does if you up the compression ratio and cubic inches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You think he removed the baffles ... then you should have 2 little holes (for origin rivets) at the end of the slip-ons. They would also look empty.

Also check in the box if the mufflers are in. If so, put them back. Original pipes (with mufflers) are really bad for performance. SE II is a good compromise regarding noise and performance.

If you still decide to swap back to origin pipes it should take 2 beers (Max 30 minutes).

Regarding damaging the engine, lets say that actual set up is as "good" as drag pipes, no big risk for the valves but not ideal.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
patsue said:
...and later I think, removed the baffles from them.

Shine a flashlight up in the pipe. You'll definatly know if the baffle is in or out. I will not hurt the engine if the baffles are out. Oliver says it's a two beer job. He must drink fast!! :eek: It only takes me 10 minutes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I took off the Screaming Eagle slash cuts (the baffles had been removed) and put the factory pipes back on. They also had the baffles removed. By the way, I do have the screaming eagle baffles I could have put back in, but I would have had to figure out a way to replace those rivets that hold them in.

Anyway, I started up the bike and I much prefer the sound with the unbaffled factory pipes. It doesn't have that sharp loud pulse that I found too much. It is a more full sound.

By the way, it took me about 15 minutes to switch.

I am going to keep the screaming eagles just for fun in case I want to be loud for a parade or something.

Patsue

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question

I want to put the baffles back in the SE IIs.
Can I just run a nail through the hole in the pipe through the hole in the baffle where the rivet used to be and bend it a little on both ends to hold the baffle in? or maybe use some kind of bolt with a nut on the inside or something?

The nail can't be seen since it is on the side toward the bike.

I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Patsue

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If the rejet was done right it was for baffled S/E pipes. I much preferr the sound of S/E baffled pipes over stock gutted pipes. Cheack your plugs to see how lean you are running.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
patsue said:
Another question

I want to put the baffles back in the SE IIs.
Can I just run a nail through the hole in the pipe through the hole in the baffle where the rivet used to be and bend it a little on both ends to hold the baffle in? or maybe use some kind of bolt with a nut on the inside or something?

The nail can't be seen since it is on the side toward the bike.

I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Patsue
I do not know where the hole is on the SE II's but if you can, you should put in a bolt and a nut and lockwasher. This will keep it from ratteling. If you have to, you could drill out the hole and make it a little larger so you can put in a larger bolt. Not sure how big the rivit hole is. My Cycle Shack slipons have a bolt and nut so you can remove the baffle easily, so yours could be done the same way.

good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,
I used the bolt, nut, washer combo and it worked fine. Started it up and it does sound better. The baffled Screaming Eagle IIs are a little more agressive then the unbaffled stock pipes but not so irritating as they were with the baffles out of of them.

Now, just need some warm weather. maybe some rain for a morning to wash the salt off the road.

patsue

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couldn't take the warm temperatures anymore (40 F) and just got back from a 120 mile ride. Got caught with the sun down and about froze but it was a blast!

Anyway, the SE IIs with the baffles are perfect for performance and sound. The bike ran awesome. What a difference with the baffles in as far as low end torque!

It really needs to warm up!

patsue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts