V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a little cam selection guidance. I want to try some different cams/pistons to bring the torque on sooner and drop my CR a bit. The reason for this is I’m doing a lot more 2-up loaded touring and realize I won’t always be able to get the 93 octane which is readily available in my area (MI).

Current build
98” at 10.5
9.17 corrected / 185.4ccp
CP 6cc pistons
well prepped heads (84cc 1.9 I/1.62 E w/grooves)
.030hg
Kury WT 26g cams
48mm HPI TB
TMAX AT
Timken conversion
Dark Horse prepped crank
3.37 gears.

This thing really screams from the mid to high rpm’s but I’d prefer to have more torque in the lower rpm range. It’s my personal opinion this build is better suited for a lighter bike or maybe a solo bagger not used primarily for 2-up touring.

My previous build (98”) was with Andrews 37g’s @ 9.7 and heads with mild (if any) cleanup and aftermarket stock valves. This was a real easy motor to live with as far as tune and lower octane when that’s all that could be found and scooted along pretty good.

What cams would give me the characteristics of the 37's yet take advantage of the head work and throttle body? I’m thinking I want to get the compression down into the 9.7-10 range.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
You will get a lot of different responses to your question, and most will be correct. All I can tell you is I run the Wood 6H's in my bagger, and they work perfectly for me. Your comp ratio would work well for these cams also. Might be stretching it on 87 octane though, but I would think as long as your heads are set up for a .600 lift cam, you would be good to go. Just understand some people don't like the noise of Wood cams. I have no issues with it. Mine aren't too loud at all.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What about the Cycle Rama 575 cam? Seems it would bring the TQ in much earlier because of the intake close and low overlap. Here are the specs which are hard to find:

CR575

Intake Open 15 Close 35 .575 lift 230 duration 100LC 22 degree overlap 105.5 LSA
Ex. Open 49 Close 7 .560 lift 236 duration 111LC

-Tutt

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I've got the CR575's and its a great cam. It doesn't have a TON of low end torque but more than enough for 2 up riding around town. It really shines with roll on performance and still pulls hard up top. Basically anywhere above 2300rpm is super strong. I have a Dragos 2 into 1 which may help with some power and torque down low but its a kick ass cam regardless.

I've run 87 octane and no issues with pinging or detonation. I try to run 93 if I can but don't care if all I find is 87. I have a RP ECM and a stock motor otherwise so I can't give any advice on how it would run with your mods but can't help but think it wouldn't be any different.

Joe

Oh and they're quiet too.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
TR-555 Torqster is also a possibility. Intake close is around 38 I think. Check T-Man's website for specifics.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. Does anybody run a 54g @ 10.1 comp.? I've got plenty of time (all winter) to sort this out. Maybe I can still figure out a way to go bigger :)

Rick

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can't tell you from personal experience so my opinion may be next to worthless. I've read countless pages on this very topic as I'm in the market for a set of cams for my [mostly] stock 103 in my FLHTK.

The Wood #6 is recommended more than any other cam. The S&S 510, Andrews 37, Wood 6, etc are all great cams. They are also very near identical, .510 lift, all have an intake close around 40 degrees ABDC. You can't really go wrong with any of them. The Andrews 21 or 26 may work well for you too if you want to move the power curve to the left a bit.

The Wood #5 has .575 lift and closes at 37 degrees and will come alive a little sooner than the #6. The Andrews 54 has legions of loyal followers and is nearly identical to the Wood 555 but those last two seem to be tailor made for the new 103 and love 10:1 compression. I can't find a bad review of the S&S Easy Start cams in .551 and .583 varieties.

I feel your pain and wish you luck in your selection.

·
Registered
549 Posts
dont listen to what the others are using or say they heard is a great cam !

untill you figure out what CR you want and what your cylinder heads are flowing...then you can match the cam to perform with the other changes Call Randy @ Hyperformance
His shop in south of you in Iowa you have to use matched parts that have a proven track record that they work ti your advantage for max HP. TQ, AND FUEL Mileage

kingofcubes.com He is the Man to ask

·
Premium Member
281 Posts

My cam is a great cam......for me. I got advice from many tuners who I respect and they all had different opinions because all have their favourite. I agree that matching a cam to the build is important. What's more important is what the buyer wants from the motor. To totally discount others (meaning non-professionals like myself) opinions is foolish. The tuner may have a certain style or end goal that the buyer may not want. To blindly trust a tuner is just as bad as taking advice from me.

I chose differently from what my tuner suggested and I'm glad I did. In my gut I knew it was what I wanted and I'm thrilled. That's not to say I would have been unhappy with his selection but had I gone with his selection I would have always wondered "what if".

Find out what you want, read and talk to people and make up your own mind.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts

untill you figure out what CR you want and what your cylinder heads are flowing...then you can match the cam to perform with the other changes Call Randy @ Hyperformance
His shop in south of you in Iowa you have to use matched parts that have a proven track record that they work ti your advantage for max HP. TQ, AND FUEL Mileage

kingofcubes.com He is the Man to ask
yeah don't listen to what anyone on here says, wtf? why even have a forum if you don't want opinions from other people? I guess they should just shut down the forum and direct everyone to Randy.:confused:

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I’m looking for a little cam selection guidance. I want to try some different cams/pistons to bring the torque on sooner and drop my CR a bit. The reason for this is I’m doing a lot more 2-up loaded touring and realize I won’t always be able to get the 93 octane which is readily available in my area (MI).

Current build
98” at 10.5
9.17 corrected / 185.4ccp
CP 6cc pistons
well prepped heads (84cc 1.9 I/1.62 E w/grooves)
.030hg
Kury WT 26g cams
48mm HPI TB
TMAX AT
Timken conversion
Dark Horse prepped crank
3.37 gears.

This thing really screams from the mid to high rpm’s but I’d prefer to have more torque in the lower rpm range. It’s my personal opinion this build is better suited for a lighter bike or maybe a solo bagger not used primarily for 2-up touring.

My previous build (98”) was with Andrews 37g’s @ 9.7 and heads with mild (if any) cleanup and aftermarket stock valves. This was a real easy motor to live with as far as tune and lower octane when that’s all that could be found and scooted along pretty good.

What cams would give me the characteristics of the 37's yet take advantage of the head work and throttle body? I’m thinking I want to get the compression down into the 9.7-10 range.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick,

You might want to ask whoever did your heads / build and see what they recommend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts