V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, m doing the solo seat quandrum. corbin? mustang? and the one im most interested in the saddleman rouge 1. any heads up as to which is more comfortable? i do some short runs and back and forth to work, but i do like to take 300 mile trips,i'll be mounting this seat on my 2001 flht, also does anyone know of a solo fender rack for this model?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
mrsnipy said:
I, m doing the solo seat quandrum. corbin? mustang? and the one im most interested in the saddleman rouge 1. any heads up as to which is more comfortable?

Q: why would you want such a comfortable bike and NOT share it with anyone? The solo seat says NO PASSENGER WANTED! I am confused "MR"snipy. When I read your post to my girlfriend she said, I won't tell you what she said because she started laughing. Bottom line: DON'T do it. A solo seat might look cool but you won't be able to have a passenger (a nice thing sometimes!) unless you use one of those pull-off "Phantom" pillon seats. IMHO. Riding alone is great when a lady is riding her own next to you!!! Can you have a solo seat on a dresser, yes. Does it look cool, yes. Is it a good idea, well, only you know your personal situation, I don't. I wouldn't do it!!!! All those things being said, a lot of folks like the "mustang" seat for comfort. You can even get an coordinated backrest for the seat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soloseat drawbacks

HI Jim,
you hit the nail on the head ...my wife just orderd her self a new bike, shes been riding alongside me on her honda 500 shadow all year now.
I almost have to toss her keys to get her to ride 2 up anymore. and being her new sporty has a solo seat we kinda figured I would get one also. The only reason i was considering the saddleman was the layer of gel built into the seat.

And yes I miss riding 2 up it has always been a lot of fun. I figure she'll be looking to ride with me after chasing me on her sporty after a while.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I like the Mustang. Very good quality, very comfortable over any distance, on the FLHR you can keep the OEM rear seat and they match perfectly.

I like the solo look, and you can carry the factory rear seat in the saddlebag. You want a given passenger it takes a few seconds to put on and gives you an easy out if you don't. LOL

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mustang is a great seat, very comfortable and less susceptable to weather than a Corbin, less expensive too.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
POPCORN ! PEANUTS! GET YER POPCORN HERE FOR THE SEAT WARS!

Bla Hahahaahahaaahhahaha

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gentlemen,
I posted a question concerning the factory seats on the Road King in another thread but it looks like this is where I should have posted. So here goes.

I'm going to be renting a Road King for a week long trip from Denver to Montana. My question is will my butt handle the stock seat for this trip or should I plan on bringing some extra padding or something? I might even go as far as buying a Mustang or Corbin seat, installing it when I get to Denver, and then take if off at the end of the trip and selling it.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Riding a RoadKing standard with the stock seat is like riding a camel and sitting on the hump. I guess some could do it.

I have a spare Mustang solo just in case I have to ride someone else's bike, that I'm not using right now, but it's near Phoenix, so it will do you no good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you guys.
Looks like I'm going to need a cushion! The Airhawk cruiser seat looks like the ticket.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a Mustang Solo and love it. I kicked myself for waiting until I put 22K on the OEM seat before dropping the $200 for a good seat. Mustang makes matching fender bibs to cover up the wires and such when the rear seat is removed. My daughter complained after a long ride that the stock rear pilon was not comfortable and it wasn't fair that I had a good seat and she didn't. I got the matching Mustang rear pilon and she said it is a night and day differance. Now we can both be comforable and I can pull off the rear seat when I want to and clean up the looks.

As far as which one is the best, you really need to find some samples to sit on. Comfort is very much a subjective thing. What works for me might feel like garbage to you. There are small shape differances that make a huge differance on the feel. You'de be supprised how much differance taking 1/2 inch off the nose of the seat makes.

·
I ain't right
391 Posts
I've had my Mustang solo with detachable backrest for 60K miles nowon my RKC. LOVE IT ! As Elmo stated you can buy the detachable passenger pillion. They sell a special seat nut that the passenger pillion slips onto and its just one screw to secure it to the fender where the stock seat attaches. Very nice set up. I ride a passenger just a few times a year, and it works out well. I've been lucky to date women with thier own. My new girl has her own Road King, and I'll rdie bitch on hers occasionally.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
It’s hard to find a good looking solo seat that's also comfortable. I went with the Danny Gray Big seat and the optional passenger pad. The pad comes in 3 sizes, small, large and extra large. I went with the large, it's big enough and it also fits in your saddle bag.

Now back to the seat, what I discovered was that the Danny Gray seat looked cool but was uncomfortable as hell after about an hours ride. So I sent it out to Meancity cycles and they inserted their memory foam, lowered it and pushed it back a bit. Now I have the cool solo, the comfort and the ergonomics tailored to my size.

So if you get a seat that you like and it's not comfortable, don't sweet it, just have it refurbished to your liking.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I, m doing the solo seat quandrum. corbin? mustang? and the one im most interested in the saddleman rouge 1. any heads up as to which is more comfortable? i do some short runs and back and forth to work, but i do like to take 300 mile trips,i'll be mounting this seat on my 2001 flht, also does anyone know of a solo fender rack for this model?
The factory police air seat, it is the best made for Harley.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts