V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 years ago I stripped the 'ol 94 FSXTS frame and front end of most everything and put it all on a new stretched/raked frame w/ 6" over springer. Subsequently I acquired a low-milage (1000 miles <) 88 Twin and tranny guts from a friend who went to a 96 and 6-speed gears. After it all sat around my garage long enough I decided I needed a soft-tail springer bobber-kinda-thang.
Mama likes the electra-glide, so this one (like the previous build) will be a solo bike. I've got a rough idea what I'm looking for, but not wedded to anything that in the end I may discover I don't like. Finances are somewhere between stingy and no-object.
I liked the handling of the old '94, so the suspension will remain the same - rear tire will probably go to a 1.5, and the rear fender will attach to the swing-arm.
My wrench suggested going with a crate evo rather than using the twin parts I have, but part of this whole thing is to use up the parts I have.

So lads.. how would YOU go about making this into a fun comfortable clean and reliable nice-but nothing-bling-fancy bike?

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Did the twin cam engine and trans come out of a softail?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the twin cam engine and trans come out of a softail?
No - Either a Road King or Road Glide (memory is the 2nd thing to go.. clutch is first). Just the guts - anything common between the 88 and the 96 would have been reused (cases, etc..)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your into the fast thing S&S motors are outstanding choices
I'm not as enamored with my cheeks flapping against my ears as I once was when skin regrew and bones healed faster than they do now. (I much prefer to enjoy an elk steak for dinner rather than lay it down to slide under one that just stepped into the road, to avoid eating it for lunch). As I noted above, I have the guts from an HD 88 that I'd like to use up, although if they go into an S&S case (if they make OEM-compatible cases), I'm fine with that.

Andrews cams & gear drive that I have in my '00 EGC 80ci with a power commander (the Reinhart exhausts the PO had on it needed the commander to make it run decent, since there's no maps for the 00 EFI), and I'm more than happy with that for speed and power. An 88 similarly outfitted in a soft-tail several hundred pounds lighter than my "bike-a-lounger" should be more than fast and torquee enough to make my tongue hard, I'd think.

At the moment I'm more curious about feasibility than red-line..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm not as enamored with my cheeks flapping against my ears as I once was when skin regrew and bones healed faster than they do now. (I much prefer to enjoy an elk steak for dinner rather than lay it down to slide under one that just stepped into the road, to avoid eating it for lunch). As I noted above, I have the guts from an HD 88 that I'd like to use up, although if they go into an S&S case (if they make OEM-compatible cases), I'm fine with that.

Andrews cams & gear drive that I have in my '00 EGC 80ci with a power commander (the Reinhart exhausts the PO had on it needed the commander to make it run decent, since there's no maps for the 00 EFI), and I'm more than happy with that for speed and power. An 88 similarly outfitted in a soft-tail several hundred pounds lighter than my "bike-a-lounger" should be more than fast and torquee enough to make my tongue hard, I'd think.

At the moment I'm more curious about feasibility than red-line..
LOL... Point taken... Yes engine cases are far stronger as well as fully compatible with stock guts. Good luck on your build

1 - 7 of 7 Posts