V-Twin Forum banner

Softail Standard owners thread

243K views 561 replies 215 participants last post by  FartinLutherKing 
#1 ·
Since I'm a new owner of a Softail Standard,I thought that I would see who else here owns the same.

#27 ·
Glad to see a standard thread started. I lurk alot around here and dont see much on standards. This needs to be a sticky like most other models. Some great looking bikes here. I love mine and that you can go so many different directions with this model.I will post some pics tonight. Posted a few a while back but didnt get too much feedback.

#28 ·
I got my FXSTI just about this time last year. In that year I've changed out lots of parts (and still more to go). In fact you wouldn't really know it's the same bike. It now has black pearl tins off an 05 night train, deuce risers, and, dyna handlebars (just to mention a few mods). I think it looks better today than the day I brought it home.

#32 ·
I finally got my new 05 home to the garage on Friday. It was 26 degrees outside, but I couldn't just sit there and look at it so I had to take a ride. All I can say is WOW. Moving up from a sporty may have been the best idea I've ever had. It's a totally different animal. I had no idea how much better a softail would ride and how much more power they have, mind you I had an 883!

I love the forward controls and the way it rides in general. It's like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac as far as sportys go.

I'll post some pics in a couple of days.

#33 ·
TheBeerGuy said:
I finally got my new 05 home to the garage on Friday. It was 26 degrees outside, but I couldn't just sit there and look at it so I had to take a ride. All I can say is WOW. Moving up from a sporty may have been the best idea I've ever had. It's a totally different animal. I had no idea how much better a softail would ride and how much more power they have, mind you I had an 883!

I love the forward controls and the way it rides in general. It's like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac as far as sportys go.

I'll post some pics in a couple of days.

Congrats on the new scoot. I have a ball with my 04 FXST.

#34 ·
I'm in envy Beer Guy. I had my new FXTSI delivered last Friday but I don't think the weather will allow me to ride it for at least a month. Today the high was 14 F and snow flurries. So all I can do for now is head out to the garage once a while and drool over it. :D

Fellow Canadians, how early do you think you will have your scoots out on the road? :confused:

#35 ·
Nice scoot 05_Harley! Like those bars and I'm thinking about getting the same ones.

It was pretty bad riding in the 26 degree cold, but the roads were clear of salt thanks to the rain we had last week, so I figured I would brave it.

Saturday was actually 39 degrees when I got off work and I got my first 50 miles done. It was great.

Looking forward to 50 degrees hopefully in the next month or so.

Good luck canadian brothers. Hope the weather breaks soon and you find yourselves on the road again!

#36 ·
Thanks BeerGuy, looking forward to seeing a pic or two of your scoot. My bars are White Bros. Burly Bars (7 1/2" rise). Dimensions are very similiar to the HD Street Slammer bars but they cost about a 1/3rd of the price. The internal wiring and signal light relocation kit really cleans up the front end.

#37 · (Edited)
I finally got it to go in ---- 04 FXSTI, Bassani Pro Streets, Carlini Design Clean Sweep 1-1/2 T Bars, Kuryakan Pegs, Lepera Silhouette Seat in Tan Leather with pinstripe stitch, Forcewinder II A/C, Headwinds Light package.

All the best Ozzie

#40 ·
TheBeerGuy said:
Dang that's one mean lookin ride you got there Ozzie. Those bars are damn nice! Mind me asking where you picked them up and how much they set you back?
Thanks for the kind words, I usually go inside out on my scooters, this time round I went outside and yet to go in.

The bars are Carlini Design Clean Sweep 7" rise, ordered through Wally`s Cycle World, approx. $300----They really are very well made bars.

All the best, Ozzie

#44 ·
Finally!!!!!!

well after a year of dodging bomms,bullets, and mortars my dream has finally come true. tonight i walked into HD of waco and made my dreams come true. i got my black soft tail standard. of course as it always goes it isn't leaving the dealer in stock condition. i got the HD street slammer bars, braided cables, lowering kit, and a set of v&h big radius pipes. paul was a huge help and i would recomend him and the store to any one. they say it should be no more than a week before i take delivery. the pipes will be installed and the stage 1 done at the 1k service. don't fret i'll post some tasty pics as soon as i get her home.

#46 ·
apache36 said:
well after a year of dodging bomms,bullets, and mortars my dream has finally come true. tonight i walked into HD of waco and made my dreams come true. i got my black soft tail standard. of course as it always goes it isn't leaving the dealer in stock condition. i got the HD street slammer bars, braided cables, lowering kit, and a set of v&h big radius pipes. paul was a huge help and i would recomend him and the store to any one. they say it should be no more than a week before i take delivery. the pipes will be installed and the stage 1 done at the 1k service. don't fret i'll post some tasty pics as soon as i get her home.

I can't say enough good things about Waco. I'm stationed at Fort Riley and took a trip through Texas early last year and burnt my starter up (my fault-long story). They bent over backwards to get me on the road. They even had a free night ticket for a local motel that they let me have (took an extra day because of a screw up at another dealership who was suppose to next day air the starter). Service Manager (I can't think of her name at the moment) even took me out to a local bar. The parts guy ended up having to drive halfway to Beumont to pick up the starter (Beumont HD met him halfway). If and when I buy another HD, I will make a trip to Waco no matter where I'm living.

BTW, MPs do everything Cav does plus more :D Just fkng with ya :D

#47 ·
silverback,

yeah i am really impressed with the waco store. i went up yesterday to finish up some paper work, and paul my sales guy told me that there going to try to get all of my mods done before i pick up the bike. that is parts pending of course. they're taking stage1 and the whole nine yards. by the way i'm married to a DA cop and former mp, so i hear the comments all the time. but at least i get to ride arround in 35 tons of fun.

#48 ·
apache36 said:
silverback,

yeah i am really impressed with the waco store. i went up yesterday to finish up some paper work, and paul my sales guy told me that there going to try to get all of my mods done before i pick up the bike. that is parts pending of course. they're taking stage1 and the whole nine yards. by the way i'm married to a DA cop and former mp, so i hear the comments all the time. but at least i get to ride arround in 35 tons of fun.
Is Paul the grey beard that works in sales? That kind of impressed me too. Looks like they kept an old timer from their old store.

Actually, If I had it to do over again I probably would have tried to go armor or infantry. Actually, I probably would have went Marines--they seem like they have to put up with less bull shat with non-warfighting training, property, etc. They focus on combat--the way that they army should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.