V-Twin Forum banner
481 - 500 of 561 Posts

· MTfromLV
73 Posts
my softail

I have a 2004 FXST-I. Have loved it for 10 years now...

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
Im new to the site I have a 2010 FXSTC Softail can anyone supply information on removing the fuel tanks on 2010 FXSTC Softail.
Cheers
Lofty

· Registered
5,829 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
Im new to the site I have a 2010 FXSTC Softail can anyone supply information on removing the fuel tanks on 2010 FXSTC Softail.
Cheers
Lofty
welcome to the forum, best place to get answers for that would be the tech forums.

Mine is pretty simple, remove the seat and remove the bolt to the frame, remove the through bolt on the neck, remove the fuel lines, remove the console and it should come off. If you don't already have one get a manual, it'll be your best friend if you're going to do your own work... :RTFB: ;)

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello all new FXSTI rider

Just picked up an 06 FXSTI, don't want to cause any hate or discontent so lets just say I got it at a really good price. Rode FXSB low rider prior this and have decided I do like my softail. Id like to get another seat for it and have read and been told that only Softail seats will fit..... Dyna And Touring seats are out because of the frames and console placement. May just get the on I have redone. as I am planning a long ride and this seat will not be the most comfortable for that ride.

· Registered
2 Posts
May as well get my '87 up here....finally :)

Before the wreck. Dull, factory red flame, lots of powdercoated parts...that I hated:

After $8700+ in repairs. White with blue flake, drags, HD headlamp. The entire front end is new, as is nearly the entire right side. I went 45' and landed on my head, the bike went 60' and hit a parked car. The guy that hit me, came off a stop sign and "did not see the motorcycle". But, I had all my future plans for it done all at once...which made me happy :) :

· Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever go through with your 21->16 inch conversion? I've trolled lots of web sites and picked up various hints but it basically comes down to: 1.you'll need to change spacers for both the hub and rotor and/or caliper, and 2. You'll need to change and re-space the front fender to accommodate the beefier wheel/tire.
QUESTION: I'm not a mechanic but the custom wheel spacing sounds kind of 'hit or miss' and may not result in the recommended offset. Would it be reasonable to remove the hub from my 2004 FXST and install it on my new 40 spoke Softail Heritage front wheel (have it re-laced/balanced with new 16 inch tire. Would that deal with any potential spacing or offset issues?

Jerry
Full Time Retiree
2004 FXSTI (previously BSA 441 Victor, 1968 Triumph Tiger,1970 Norton Commando, 1971 Kawasaki H-1, and a couple of misc dirt bikes)

· Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Did you ever go through with your 21->16 inch conversion? I've trolled lots of web sites and picked up various hints but it basically comes down to: 1.you'll need to change spacers for both the hub and rotor and/or caliper, and 2. You'll need to change and re-space the front fender to accommodate the beefier wheel/tire.
QUESTION: I'm not a mechanic but the custom wheel spacing sounds kind of 'hit or miss' and may not result in the recommended offset. Would it be reasonable to remove the hub from my 2004 FXST and install it on my new 40 spoke Softail Heritage front wheel (have it re-laced/balanced with new 16 inch tire. Would that deal with any potential spacing or offset issues?

Jerry
Full Time Retiree
2004 FXSTI (previously BSA 441 Victor, 1968 Triumph Tiger,1970 Norton Commando, 1971 Kawasaki H-1, and a couple of misc dirt bikes)
The spacers are not a big deal, swap the wheels, put the axle in, then measure the space, order spacers

I had posted how I put a Fatboy front wheel on my 04 Softail, as well as a Deuce rear wheel, both 17"

PICTURES HERE

· Registered
3 Posts
Just came home with my new FXSTI! I love this bike but definitely needs louder pipes. My question is can I put on SE slip-ons without doing the stage 1 air cleaner and efi remap? To start with and and add the stage one when more $$ is availabe. Need that classic Harley sound.
Thanks
Richard
Would that be the same,if I filled V&H short pipes,not slip-ons

· Registered
339 Posts
OK now I have 100,000 miles on my 03 FXST, and I love this bike, but my age and previous injuries are now getting to me. I need to lower my bike, hips, back injury and overweight makes it harder to get on and off with out dragging my foot over the seat. Any suggestions.

· Registered
83 Posts
OK now I have 100,000 miles on my 03 FXST, and I love this bike, but my age and previous injuries are now getting to me. I need to lower my bike, hips, back injury and overweight makes it harder to get on and off with out dragging my foot over the seat. Any suggestions.
Most of the bike parts dealers (J&P etc.) have parts that will drop your bike 2" or so. Front and/or back shocks.

481 - 500 of 561 Posts