V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Performance upgrade question

I just purchased a 2000 Softail and would like to know what are the first performance upgrades I should do? The bike will only be used for cruising around town and short trips. I’m not looking to breaking the bank. It currently has a set of Vance and Hines Straight Shots on it with the carb jetted for the pipes.

· Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered the Dennis Kirk catalogue.
Now, I would like a recommendation on handlebars. Currently, it has the OEM factory rise handlebar. I’d like to lower the bar by about six inches. I ordered and have received a 28” wide drag bar with a 3 1/2” pullback. The bar seems too narrow. Any suggestions?

· Registered
15 Posts
Ok here goes: When I bought my 2000 Softail it came with a set of Vance and Hines pipes. They were way too loud (plus I have an ear sensitive to loud noises - result of not wearing hearing protection during Top Fuel dragsters warming up). I found a set of pipes with less than 50 miles on them from an 05 Deuce. Everything matches up except the cast iron bracket, part number 65435-00 muffler support. The support will align and mount to the muffler brackets and the foot peg bolt hole on the frame. However, that is it. The lower part of the support does not align with the two holes below the swing arm pivot bolt.
Do you know of a factory or aftermarket support bracket that will mount better especially below the swing arm bolt?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts