V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The backlighting on my '99 Softail's speedometer/odometer is so bad that in low light it is impossible to read. All I have is a faint yellowish glow that is worthless until it is pitch black outside. Is there a way to increase the amount of the speedomter's internal illumination? I'm sure a higher wattage bulb(s) is the answer but the speedomter seems to be a sealed unit. Any tricks of the trade or recommendations out there?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aw, com'on guys!! Give me a break here. I'm almost ready to put a miner's light on my helmet to see my speedo!! Somebody out there has a solution for dim dash lights.

Hello...hello... is this thing on??

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not sure about Softails. On the touring bikes the speedo illumination is by LED's and if there is a problem it requires replacing the speedo. If you look in the FM or maybe even the Owners Manual bulb chart it will tell you if it is a LED or a bulb. If it is a bulb it may just have moved, or if it was OK when new you might try replacing it. If this is the case I would not use a bulb with too much higher wattage.

If you have the FM you could look at the wiring diagram and if it has a separate input for illumination you might want to check the voltage to make sure there isn't a drop somewhere in this circuit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speedo? I just shift when the tach light flashes

My speedo is in between the tanks and I rarely look at it. If you are not travelling much faster than traffic (which is often the case on the H-1), then speed won't be an issue.

I'm more worried about the noise from my Pro-pipe. Just have to keep an eye out for those 3 wheel golf carts that HPD uses to patrol Waikiki

·
Registered
132 Posts

The backlighting on my '99 Softail's speedometer/odometer is so bad that in low light it is impossible to read. I'm sure a higher wattage bulb(s) is the answer but the speedomter seems to be a sealed unit.

disclaimer - I have no personal knowledge of the softail lighting, but...
if the bulb in the speedo is a PC658 it puts out 1.2 watts, you can replace it with a PC160 which puts out 2.66 watts - a little more light might be enough. Any auto parts store will have the PC160

1 - 5 of 5 Posts