V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions...

04 FLSTCi, replaced stock shocks with lowering aftermarket type, absolute junk! Cant get preload right, squeaky and horrible absorption, cant wait to throw them in the junk pile. :(

I want to keep the bike lowered 1 - 1 1/2" so I have a choice... $30 for a lowering kit to add to my existing MoCo take offs -or- Spend the $350+ for new adjustable progressives.

Are the Progressives really going to give me that much better of a ride?

The stockers seemed to ride pretty well before and I'm assuming they will maintain their ride ability with the lowering kit installed. Am I missing something that's gonna make a big enough difference that I want to go with the Progressives?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I am thinking of going with Works Performance shocks.
Have heard nothing but good things about them and they build them to your specs(weight,2up,riding style etc).

Alot more money but on a Softail you need good rear shocks:chopper:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Greglal said:
Looking for opinions...

04 FLSTCi, replaced stock shocks with lowering aftermarket type, absolute junk! Cant get preload right, squeaky and horrible absorption, cant wait to throw them in the junk pile. :(

I want to keep the bike lowered 1 - 1 1/2" so I have a choice... $30 for a lowering kit to add to my existing MoCo take offs -or- Spend the $350+ for new adjustable progressives.

Are the Progressives really going to give me that much better of a ride?

The stockers seemed to ride pretty well before and I'm assuming they will maintain their ride ability with the lowering kit installed. Am I missing something that's gonna make a big enough difference that I want to go with the Progressives?
I thought my stock shocks were just fine also, then I installed a lowering kit and dropped the rear 1". My ride is no longer fine, it's now a bit harsh and I will be buying new adjustable shocks in the near future. IMO, don't waste your cash on a lowering kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been riding on the Works Air shocks for a year or so, and they leak constantly and the fuse for the electric pump blows if I over fill. It's almost impossible to get the pressure correct since it won't hold air from day to day. My HD service department has checked it a couple of times and can't find a leak anywhere. So those buggers are coming off this weekend. I've ordered the Progressive 422's.

I've read several other posts that confirm that air-filled shocks will never have the comfort of hydraulic/spring.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am currently running factory MoCo shocks with lowering kit and LA Choppers Big Blue Springs. The ride is terrific! They offer three different springs for the softail Big Red springs rated at 1200 psi for solo riders, Big Blue springs rated at 1300 psi for riders 220-290 lbs, and Big Grey springs rated at 1400 psi for riders over 300 lbs. At $196 they were cheaper than aftermarket shocks, and I already had the lowering kit in my factory shocks. Found out the "harsh ride" when lowered was from suspension bottoming out. The LA Chopper springs when first installed before riding worried me. They seemed extreamly stiff in the shop, they are a little stiff in town at slow speed, but ride great on the highway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts