V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I am a new HD owner. I have a superglide, and while I love it, it has not been the best bike for me and the wife riding two up. I am looking to trade it in on either a heritage softail, or a road king classic. Being the new to this the two bikes appear very similar to me. I know that technically the softail is in the softail family, and the road king is in the touring family, but in a practical sense what does this mean? I mean if I look at an ultra classic I can definitely see the differences, but what are the differences and or pros/cons of a road king vs a heritage softail?

I plan on riding the bike daily around town (my superglide works fine for this) but maybe two or three times a month the wife and I would like to take the bike on overnight trips, etc. Right now she says she is uncomfortable on the dyna, and we don't have much room for our gear.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Let her take the MSF course and get her own bike. :)

A Heritage vs. Road King Discussion.

A Road King is in the touring family and has a bit more suspension than the Softail. The Road King Classic is also one of the other bikes in the HD line I like as long as you remove the windshield. I think the other difference besides a bit more suspension would be the larger bags on the RK Classic vs. the Softail Heritage. I would suggest you go to a dealer (like the one you bought your bike from) and ask him to let you test ride a couple or rent each one. That would be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Test riding is a good suggestion. I have heard though, that the softail line is not very good for two up riding. the swingarm is like a lever, with the shock (fulcrum) quite a bit forward of where the touring line of bikes have their shocks mounted.

When you get a passenger on in back of you, you are applying a lot more leverage to that fulcrum...and I've heard the softails will bottom out easily. Of course this can be remedied with heavy duty shocks or an air ride system I guess....but the road king, and the rest of the touring line, are made for two up comfortable rides.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
I own a Road King Classic and love it except for one thing. The stock seat kills the wife's and mine rears after about an hour. With the right seat the RKC will be able to take you farther in more comfort than the Softtail family of bikes. There is an optional Sundowner Classic styled seat for the RKC that will make both you and your wife happy from the beginning. Look in the HD book for the number and then save yourself some money and purchase it from Hale's, Surdyke or one of the other discount dealers. Should be able to get it for $260 plus shipping. If you are under 5'10" you might want to look at a Mustang two-up #75464 seat. They say that the nose is cut smaller so it making it easier to put your feet on the ground even with it moving you about 1" high and 1" closer to the handle bars. The Mustang seat will cost more, about $290 (Ebay) to $359, depending on the internet company. Then there is www.day-long.com seats. Most of the Ironbutt riders own these. These are made for You and Your wife's butts. Cost in Leather $695. They run a sale in December every year.

By the way the HD and Mustang seats are vinyl. The Windshield I think is great. It doesn't let the wind beat you to death and stops most things from ripping your face, teeth (optional in TN) and eyes apart.

·
Registered
443 Posts
"I have a superglide, and while I love it, it has not been the best bike for me and the wife riding two up. "

You said it all right there my friend. I'd bypass the Softail line & go directly to the touring models. Any model RK, plus a good seat, and you'll both be smilin'. Lose the windshield for around town/barhoppin' and it's still a sporty lookin' ride.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I think for riding two up a touring bike, Road king , would be your better option. I have a Heritage Classic. you'll have more options for a larger seat for your passeneger with the road king. look around here at this link for mustang seats which are great seats.
http://www.mustangseats.com/hdcontst.htm

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
wkohn said:
Then there is www.day-long.com seats. Most of the Ironbutt riders own these. These are made for You and Your wife's butts. Cost in Leather $695. They run a sale in December every year.

They may be comfy, however those are some butt ugly seats.:whistle:

·
Registered
210 Posts
vafatboy said:

GET THE TOURING BIKE I did the soft tail thing they will ware you out after 150 miles or so . i sole mine and now ride a E-G it is like a cadalic. acctuly i like the electic Glide better than the road king we have one of each. ride with a faring and you well know what i meen especaly in some cold. and the radio is a big++++

But eather is a fine touring bike

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I have an admitted bias (see avatar) but I'll cast another vote for the Road King. I didn't see it said elsewhere but the RK's rear shocks are air shocks that you can easily adjust to change the ride comfort for you and your passenger. Plan on changing out the seat. Stock seats are really uncomfortable. I have the two-up Mustang wide touring seat on mine now and love it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Road King... There is a reason they call it the "King". Ain't got nothin to do with Elvis either.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Neither....go whole HOG qand get an Electraglide,theres nothing better for two up riding and your wife will love it! :banana:
Of course I'm bias, but I love my Classic.
I do miss my old Superglide once in a while and will prolly get another for a solo ride so if you can swing it keep yours and get a touring bike for two up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I first had a e-glide std. 2 years later I bought a r-k std. Like so many others we hated the seat.3 years later traded again to a ultra. I sometimes wish i kept the r-k but I am glad I have the stereo now. However would I go back to a road king definately YES.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I can see myself someday having Ultra and Road King. Again for two up Road King line.
Might want to consdier Ultra.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
vafatboy said:
I guess you haven't seen some of the newer ones they have done. Kind of like brownjams.

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
Just a thought!

As long as everybody is throwing there two cents in, if you can afford it, buy the Road King and keep the softtail. No one bike will be perfect for every style riding. Course, you can always buy a shovel and a couple of bags of lime and get rid of the ol' lady.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another vote for the Road King....I have an FXDL and when i toss around the idea of getting a bike that may be a better long ride bike, I have come up with the Electraglide Standard (probably the best deal of all the HD bikes) and the Road King. I do not know if I feel the look of the fairing on the EG is for me so I would probably go with the Road King if I ever pulled the trigger. One thing I think no one mentioned is that the Softail line has the "88 B" motor as opposed to the regular Twin Cam 88 on the RK. I personally can notice the difference in the engines and do not care for the B motor. I like the look of the Heritage softail classic, the handlebars and its ride, (which I only have local riding to compare) but I also do not like the Studded Saddlebag look (reminds me of seqeunced beads or rhinestones). To each his own and thats what you will have to weigh for yourself--what you like best for you and the wife. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts