V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Softail lowering kits -These things advertise that they can easily be installed in an hour. Has anyone done this themselves, and what is involved? Do you need a jack?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put one of the White Borthers adjustible lowering kit on my bike. It really only take about an hour to do, but... you need a hydraulic press! If you have access to one its very simple if your use to working on your ride. You asked if you need a jack, YES! its a must, the rear wheel must be off the ground to do this job. Just follow the direction that come with the kit you will be fine. GOOD LUCK!

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
help

poziovahim said:
Yeah I just did the Progressives' for a 2" drop! Piece of Cake! Bueno, Dan NM
Is it adjustable, did you need a press and finally how did it affect the cornering?
thanks!!

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
if you get a kit, get one that can adjust height from 0" to 2" lower. you'll need a press, and this will increase the trail measurement, meaning it'll be harder to turn. If you weren't told this here, you'd probably not notice it. In theory it will make it run straighter better, and turn harder. Ride is the same.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
you dont really need a press, If you are creative a vice will work great. I have installed a couple using the vice. I would also recomend a centerstad jack and a couple of shorty wrenches, as they are easier to use. I would say for a first time leave 2 hours. I say this because you have to put the kit in then, adjust it up and down 3-4 times before you find the sweetspot that you want. Do not go too low if you ride 2 up alot.......Oh and dont forget the extra1/2 hour to stare and admire your own work....I do that a lot..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just took my shocks out last night so I could install the progressive kit. Wasn't to hard getting the shocks out. Did you guys re-adjust your belt tension after you finished?

·
Registered
7 Posts
hepl

the harley lowering kits are on ebay in the 30.00 range where the progressive and white are closer to seventy, whats the difference?
thanks!!

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
tic10 said:
the harley lowering kits are on ebay in the 30.00 range where the progressive and white are closer to seventy, whats the difference?
thanks!!
Whats the difference other than you might get what you pay for. I saw the 30 buck ones on ebay too. They look the same as the HD kit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RockyMtnMF said:
I put one of the White Borthers adjustible lowering kit on my bike. It really only take about an hour to do, but... you need a hydraulic press! If you have access to one its very simple if your use to working on your ride. You asked if you need a jack, YES! its a must, the rear wheel must be off the ground to do this job. Just follow the direction that come with the kit you will be fine. GOOD LUCK!

Bob
A shop installed my Arlen Ness adjustables...I didn't get the instructions. Does anybody have some they can email to me so I can attempt to make adjustments??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont know about the type you have but the harley lowering kit is just a matter of loosening the jam nuts where the shock studs go thru the frame and then adjusting the nuts at the end of the shock studs in or out depending on which way you want to go. its very simple

·
Registered
48 Posts
To answer the question as to which one to buy; I was looking for a reputable manufacturer. I'm not a metalergist or anything, but I know if components are not forged/manufactured properly or if there are impurities it will fail. I went with the Progressive kit ($69 on EBAY). It's easily adjustable, they give you new bushings, the instructions are very detailed and I don't have to worry about errors in the manufacturing process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts