V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Yes I've STF on this topic... So I'm looking for something to carry an emergency tool kit on my FXSTBI. I've seen the HD Chrome Teardrop shaped tool boxes for Softails and they look pretty cool, not too bulky and pretty clean. I assume their made of metal so I'd have them powder coated gloss black to match the bike. Does anyone have any pics of this done on their bike? I can't be the first one to think of doing this. Also, are they big enough to hold a decent tool kit? Gonna put one together myself. Not interested in paying the HD tax for the Snap-On kit... Thanks alot...

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Metal may be what you are going for, but if it is only black I have seen the tool box made from black leather.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I have the black leather one on mine and like it. It should be big enough for a few tools and it won't rattle like a metal one might. The only problem is that the footpeg needs to be extended out to clear it and still fold up or even be useful. I'll try to get a pic today sometime.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have the chrome version.....and also I bought the nylon zippered insert that mates inside of it. I carry enough to get me out of trouble (small digital voltmeter, sockets, torx, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, ties, allen wrench set...etc)
Hey I stopped for a broken down evo a couple weeks ago and got them back on the road with it.....

Fatboy with no bags (never will do bags, god willing) I need all the carrying space I can get.

Oh yeah no need for the footpeg extension, just reposition the footpegs to fold horizontal (back). That act alone raises the cool factor 8.9%.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
chops said:
.. I need all the carrying space I can get.
I hear ya, I am a nut for carrying space on my Softail. I use the H-D chrome toolboxes on both sides, the BB hard saddlebags out back, and a windshield bag. I considered a pair of 10" tubes until I saw how much H-D wants for this. $150? Fuggedaboutit. I really like the H-D hard toolboxes. They are decent chrome and mount well but the locks are for show only. There is only one key out there. I have all my tools in one and put my wallet and phone in the other. I leave the windshield bag for gloves, goggles, smokes, etc.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info... I've seen the leather tool box, but don't like the HD emblem on it. The chrome model seems to be what I'll go with...

HD-LUX, what do you mean the locks are for show? You mean the key for yours will open any HD toolbox? I was hoping I could set it up so that I had one key for the entire bike (i.e. stearing lock, ignition, toobox etc).

Thanks alot...

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Yeah. You all can let me know if I'm wrong on this one but I bought my first H-D chrome toolbox online last year from Zanotti's for about $60, for the left side, and it came with two barrel keys. Cool. Then this year I got the right side box from my dealer and of course it came with two barrel keys as well. Although I have four keys, they are all the same so I can open the left side box with the right side key and vice versa. As you say, I kinda like that so I don't have to carry two toolbox keys. I was thinking I'd have to color code them or something. Now all I have to do is carry my ignition/wheel lock key, one toolbox key, and my saddle bag key on my key fob. So I am assuming my toolbox key will open any other H-D toolbox out there. Sure seems that way. Not the end of the world. The locking mechanisms themselves seem pretty solid and (knock on wood) I haven't had any problem with them.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heh, sweet... So the end of a Bic pen could open them... shveeeeet...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts