V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read or heard that either HD or the aftermarket offers a lift kit that raises the gas tank approx 1 1/2" to 2" from its stock location. Curious to see pictures of how this looks if any of you guys have done this modification.

Looking at my bike and visualizing the lift seems like it would improve the look and perhaps increase accessability to the rockerboxes, etc?

Thanks,
DLR

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
DLRVelocity1 said:
I've read or heard that either HD or the aftermarket offers a lift kit that raises the gas tank approx 1 1/2" to 2" from its stock location. Curious to see pictures of how this looks if any of you guys have done this modification.

Looking at my bike and visualizing the lift seems like it would improve the look and perhaps increase accessability to the rockerboxes, etc?

Thanks,
DLR

Here ya go:blurpan:
http://www.chopperstyle.net/Tank_Lift.htm

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I've had both the 2" and 3" tank lifts on my softail. The 3" exposes some wiring on the left side of the bike, but the 2" looks great. It also made a very big difference in engine temperature. I have an oil temp gauge, and the temperatures seemed to drop about 20 degrees after installing the lift. I guess it must force more air over the valve covers and heads.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tank Lift, Thanks

Thanks for the technical feedback and the link to the website. 2" looks just like what I'm looking for. The added extra, and unexpected cooling benefit is an bonus feature I hadn't thought about. Awesome.

Again, thanks!
DLR

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Doesn't seem that big of deal to me. Somebody had a link to a kit that, at the time I though was really ugly. This one isn't two noticeable. Infact I wonder why people do it? Guess there trying to imitate people that have custome frames.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
berserker said:
Doesn't seem that big of deal to me. Somebody had a link to a kit that, at the time I though was really ugly. This one isn't two noticeable. Infact I wonder why people do it? Guess there trying to imitate people that have custome frames.
The reason I did it was purely for looks. I've always thought that the stock tank position on Softails looked out of place. If you start looking at the rear end of a Softail at the tip of the swingarm, and then follow the lines of the swingarm and frame, it looks like the front of the tank takes a nose dive. To me, the tank lift corrects the look. It's all personal preference though.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Consider yourself lucky DLR,

I remember seeing a similar thread from a month or two ago. The poor guy that liked the same product must have gotten trashed by at least 20 different people commenting on how ugly it was and how dumb he was for liking it. I think it looks OK. If it helps cool the engine, that's an even better reason to go for it. Good luck and post a few pics (but don't be surprised if you start a sh**storm).

Edited because I found the thread.
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=58640&highlight=tank+lift

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey DLR,
I installed the 2 inch kit from Chopperstyle.net on my RK Classic, for the same reasons Mrgrinch stated, it really improves the lines of the bike. I also painted all the hardware to match the frame, with that done, most don't even notice the change ( except myself ). After reading the thread that Lunker linked to...... Just do what the hell ya want. It's your bike. Mod's don't need approval by commitee.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Opinions are good and bad, but all are valuable...

Thanks for reminding me that we all have an eye for a particular look. Interference from a particular style bars I can understand. I kind of agree that the new tank angle from the lift kit, improves the "flow of the tank contour lines" that Harley didn't get quite right. All opinions are valued, whether good or bad. Helps you see things from all angles and make the most informed choice. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Thanks, DLR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts