V-Twin Forum banner

1821 - 1826 of 1826 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suspension

I have a number of friends that have various models of softails. Fatboys, Fatboy Lo, Breakout plus others, Sportsters, Road Glide.

The Fatboy owners are aware that there bikes touchdown when going around roundabouts and the Breakout owner complains about a hard bumpy spine jarring ride on our Australian country roads.

I am wondering if anybody has used the "Comfort Flex Rear Shocks" from HD?

The reason I am asking is that my heart is set on a Softail Deluxe for my first HD purchase. It will be brand new and possibly by the time I get around to it, a 2017 model. Having said this my head tells me to purchase a Road King.

My current ride for the past five years has been a Yamaha XVS 650 V-Star.

Where will I be riding? Once a month to a club meeting about 1.5 hours return trip, mostly at 100 klms/hr about 60 miles per hour. Once a month for a ride of at least 3 hours. Again at around 100 klms/hr. Except country roads of 60 to 80 klms/hr. 35 to 50 miles/hr.

Also once to twice a year of distances of at least 1000 klms for interstate club meetings. These distances could easily double or more depending on which state of Australia we will be meeting in. Melbourne to Brisbane is 1,800 klms.

I like my comfort and wish to make the right decision. I have yet to test ride either of these models as my local dealer has asked me to come back when it is closer to summer and the roads and weather are better. Currently we are in winter with rain six plus days a week.

I am looking forward to your answers for my dilemma.

Thank you for your time.

Paul.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a number of friends that have various models of softails. Fatboys, Fatboy Lo, Breakout plus others, Sportsters, Road Glide.

The Fatboy owners are aware that there bikes touchdown when going around roundabouts and the Breakout owner complains about a hard bumpy spine jarring ride on our Australian country roads.

I am wondering if anybody has used the "Comfort Flex Rear Shocks" from HD?

The reason I am asking is that my heart is set on a Softail Deluxe for my first HD purchase. It will be brand new and possibly by the time I get around to it, a 2017 model. Having said this my head tells me to purchase a Road King.

My current ride for the past five years has been a Yamaha XVS 650 V-Star.

Where will I be riding? Once a month to a club meeting about 1.5 hours return trip, mostly at 100 klms/hr about 60 miles per hour. Once a month for a ride of at least 3 hours. Again at around 100 klms/hr. Except country roads of 60 to 80 klms/hr. 35 to 50 miles/hr.

Also once to twice a year of distances of at least 1000 klms for interstate club meetings. These distances could easily double or more depending on which state of Australia we will be meeting in. Melbourne to Brisbane is 1,800 klms.

I like my comfort and wish to make the right decision. I have yet to test ride either of these models as my local dealer has asked me to come back when it is closer to summer and the roads and weather are better. Currently we are in winter with rain six plus days a week.

I am looking forward to your answers for my dilemma.

Thank you for your time.

Paul.
As a 2005 Deluxe owner I have found that my bike rides a little low so watch for high siding, I have higher lean angles due to the low ride as well, and first thing to do is to adjust the shocks to fit you and your equipment weight. A great guide as is located here: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/556815-softail-shock-adjustment.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
best year of the deluxe

Hello everyone, I have a question for you (sorry if its covered already somewhere else). I am in the market to buy a Deluxe (possibly a heritage). I would like to know what to look for as far as things to stay away from in any given model year. Also, in your opinion what year and engine/trans combination was the best? I hear that the 88 with a 5 speed is no good because you always want that 6th gear but I have never owned a softail or any big v-twin so please let me know what is the best.

I don't plan on doing to much freeway type riding mostly country roads.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a question for you (sorry if its covered already somewhere else). I am in the market to buy a Deluxe (possibly a heritage). I would like to know what to look for as far as things to stay away from in any given model year. Also, in your opinion what year and engine/trans combination was the best? I hear that the 88 with a 5 speed is no good because you always want that 6th gear but I have never owned a softail or any big v-twin so please let me know what is the best.

I don't plan on doing to much freeway type riding mostly country roads.
Ok I have a Heritage. I lurk here for the cool info. I remember when you joined. I have a 88 and sometimes look for 6th, but is no big deal as she will run 85 mph all day. I average 65 on rural roads. My jiffy stand has touched the road. The big fenders while pretty svck in rain. I put my feet on Linby crashbar with Klockwerks windshield and I am dry. The brakes royally svck. The rear will lock and the front is a band-aid.
Something about abs svcks on the new bikes. My winter project will be the brakes and maybe paint the tins red. See I love my bike, but there are many styles of softail. Find the one that makes your heart pound, sweat is on the end of your nose and you hear a funny sound in your ears. Good luck.

tarheel

·
Registered
2005 Harley-Davidson Softail Deluxe FLSTNI
1 Posts
I'm back. I used to post as ExNavyInHouston, but in 2018 I moved back to the Midwest (STL area), hence the new name.

I still have my 2005 Deluxe (original owner), which has gone through many changes over the years. I got out of riding for about 5 years and every year kept saying, "If I don't start riding this year, I'm going to just sell it." Thankfully, I snapped out of it this year. I've even started getting the pages of my Service Manual dirty.

As for changes, the Bat Wing is now off the bike and I have a Freedom Shield on order. The Wild1 Chubby RKII (WO 518) bars are coming off too. I'm completely changing directions and going with Nash 14" Pudgy Midget Apes. Whereas I'm hoping, because of the long pull back, I'll be able to use most of the cables.

Back in 2005, I had no idea more CC's, more gears and more horsepower would be the new normal. So, I bored it from 88 to 95. Now, this mod really had me looking for 6th gear, so I added a Baker DD1 (a fantastic decision). I also put a T-Man Heads and a more aggressive cam in it and reached 99 to 100 HP on the Dyno. I had so much money in motor, wheels & chrome it was hard to let it go. So I didn't.

Once I lost the motorcycling bug, I cringe when I admit I wouldn't start it but once a year, and this last time I went almost 2 years. But, every time (after a battery change ever so often) she starts right up.

1821 - 1826 of 1826 Posts