V-Twin Forum banner
941 - 960 of 1827 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
I don't want to trade...and if you think it's gonna be easy to make enough power to even run with these 98" inchers then you need to ride one...this is like the old small block vs big block argument but now that the big block has come out the EPA says ya can't touch it (the argument has always been rpm vs cubes and unless you're way up there in cubes rpm wins everyday)...it'll be awhile before the issue is sorted out and even longer before you have EPA approved performace parts!!!

Is anything produced from here on out more than a stab at Honda anyway? we're riding dinosaurs! It's kinda like saying that my schoolbus is faster than yours :harhar: I love my Harley and will likely never get rid of it but this is HD's last shot at getting what's in our wallets before they have to really go heads-up with the competition which will require overhead cams and water cooled but until us old farts are gone we're the market they are after...IMHO HD is comprimising it's "class" for a buck...

Oh yeah, did the work myself except for the machining...it was a great pleasure to do so and the total cost was somewhere around $2500...this bike can be tuned to pass a smog test, that's what we're likely to end up with when it's all sorted out.
I think your analogy is a bit flawed...this is the same motor you have except for a slightly longer stroker crank and a better oil pump. The RPM limits will be the same if they are built to the same quality level on parts. Not a big block vs small block...more like a small block 350 or a stroked small block 383.

I don't understand why you are so down on the changes. I think it's a good starting platform from which a guy can go 103" real easy or 110" with a little more work. Can stay EPA compliant and get 115 ft lbs. of torque on the 110" or go as radical as your wallet and desires will take you. No different than you or I.

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
mori55 said:
I think i'll wait to next summer to see what i'm going to do. Let them work the bugs out, plus we can find out whats good or bad with the new setup.
Plus i just spent a sh!i load of money with the gmr kit and chrome font end.
Think i'll just enjoy it for awhile.
You and me both...

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
mori55 said:
I think i'll wait to next summer to see what i'm going to do. Let them work the bugs out, plus we can find out whats good or bad with the new setup.
Plus i just spent a sh!i load of money with the gmr kit and chrome font end.
Think i'll just enjoy it for awhile.
Mori...your bike looks good. You have it set up just the way you want it. For a guy like you, trading just would not make sense unless you wanted a different frame. In your case, it might be a better deal to add the 6 speed if you want the taller gear for the highway.

I am actually considering trading my 06 for an 07 to go from a Softail to a Touring platform. I am going to test ride some this weekend to find out...I have never ridden a Touring bike.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Stratplexi said:
Mori...your bike looks good. You have it set up just the way you want it. For a guy like you, trading just would not make sense unless you wanted a different frame. In your case, it might be a better deal to add the 6 speed if you want the taller gear for the highway.

I am actually considering trading my 06 for an 07 to go from a Softail to a Touring platform. I am going to test ride some this weekend to find out...I have never ridden a Touring bike.
I rode my buddies touring bike and i didn't like it ,i felt like i was sittin on top of the bike not in it like a softail. But it's probally somthing you just have to get used too.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
mori55 said:
I rode my buddies touring bike and i didn't like it ,i felt like i was sittin on top of the bike not in it like a softail. But it's probally somthing you just have to get used too.
I have owned 3 Softails and I am not sure about the Touring bikes. I have heard your experience from others too.

If I don't like the riding position, I will not trade. The 96" and 6 speeds are not enough to motivate me to trade.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
mori55 said:
Thanks for the comments.
Here's a link to the horn it's for a evo but it does bolt on but it's not very loud. there is a hose that goes from the new horn on the left side through the cylinders to the trumpet on the right, since it's a little different the rubber hose get's kinked so it sounds "weak". i guess you could just put the trumpet on for looks or screw with the hose and get working right.
mori, how does it sound in comparison to the stock horn (softer, same, louder)? Any problems with the install? tkx.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
mori55 said:
I rode my buddies touring bike and i didn't like it ,i felt like i was sittin on top of the bike not in it like a softail. But it's probably something you just have to get used too.
I agree wit this. I've rented two Road Kings for long tours (New Orleans) and twisties (Queensland, Australia). The Touring bikes carry thier wight noticeably higher and you feel like yer on top of them (like a horse) instead of tucked down inside them. They are great on long rides and corner very well but it is a different process from a low slung Softail. I like both but I guess it depends on what yer looking for. The RKs can convert between a bar hopper and touring ride OK but the bigger bikes are always touring bikes. The low center of gravity and connection wit the road you get on the Softail, and thier ability to really go tour bike or stripper, is what I really like.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
SEDELUXE said:
... but dont get me wrong if i had the money there would be one of each in the stable
Yeah, if I hit the loto I'd have one of them new 2007 Screamin' Eagle Road Kings in red with the 110" motor (O2 sensors be damned). You do get pretty bashed up without the air ride and 4" of shock travel. I've done a string of 8 hour days in the saddle and a few 10 and 12 hour days and I tell ya I got a bad back and without my highway pegs, windshield and back rest I couldn't do it. No way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just going over the last few posts about touring bikes and ride quality I was wondering if any here are using anything other than the stock suspension on there Deluxe, and if not what are you using and how is the ride quality compared to stock?

Thanks,
simmz

·
Registered
62 Posts
SEDELUXE said:
i did a few 4-5 hr runs up to the water gap (2-2.5 hrs each way) and let me tell ya avg speed was 80 mph and i have no windshield. wasnt to bad going but coming back at nite with no windshield it was pretty rough. was thinking of getting windshield but im afraid ill like it to much. you guys know i like the stock look of the deluxe trying to go for the sleeper look. all hp/tq but theres no room to keep supplies. i cannot even keep an extra set of glasses if i dont wear my vest.

simmz mine is stock the only thing i did was a few turns to stiffen it up a bit. was looking at the air tail but its to expensive. over the winter ill look at a new set of shocks front and rear
SEDELUXE on my Deluxe I went the exact opposite as you and tried to create a Softail Road King Deluxe lol.

simmz

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
SEDELUXE said:
its not that i dont like all that stuff on the bike is i beleive that if i start i will really like it....
I know what ya mean, I use the windshield about half the time. Love it on at highway speeds and love having the windshield bag there handy for smokes, wallet, phone, ear plugs, lighter, bong, whatever. But I have it off half the time too cause I love the beefy, sleek look with the Corbin solo. I almost never have the Heritage 2-up seat and sissy bar on now that the OL has her 1200 Low. SO I waffle back and forth. But with the windshield on and the BB Bags and dual tool boxes I got the storage part covered. I usually always have my rain gear, tools, spare plugs, extra belt kit, maps, smokes, gloves, two jugs of Gatorade, bungees, duct tape, extra goggles, doo rags, etc. Shees, is it really that much junk?

·
Registered
62 Posts
SEDELUXE said:
its not that i dont like all that stuff on the bike is i beleive that if i start i will really like it. do you know what i mean. i could really use bags but a 2into1 pipe will make me happy i would like a windshield but a larger t/b will make more power. now see where im going .

I hear ya, now that I added the saddlebags and other accessories I need to up the power a bit to move things along a little quicker.
I just removed the dual exhaust system and put on a Pro-Pipe and a PCIII to start and after reading all the success stories and seeing the results of the GMR/RevPerf 98 set-up I am going to try and get one installed over the winter.

simmz

·
Registered
62 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Whoa nelly, those hard bags are trick. Did you get them painted? How much was it? Nyyyce RK look.
Thanks.
I bought the bags pre-painted the chopper blue and had the white stripe and pinstriping done locally, the white stripe cost $75 but the pinstripe cost a $125, go figure.

simmz

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
bobros said:
mori, how does it sound in comparison to the stock horn (softer, same, louder)? Any problems with the install? tkx.
The horn has to be messed with since it's really for a evo. The sound sucks, kinda quiet , i hardley use it anyway .
I use my windshield about half the time, like long trips or riding at night. But i usually leave it off during the day around town.
I have been using the zippers ecm with my build and it works great, just to let you guys know theres another option than the sert or pc111.
Chris
Now i see why you put the 95 kit on your bike, to carry all that sh!t around!

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
simmz said:
Just going over the last few posts about touring bikes and ride quality I was wondering if any here are using anything other than the stock suspension on there Deluxe, and if not what are you using and how is the ride quality compared to stock?

Thanks,
simmz
I changed over to progressive springs in the front, only and it made a world of difference in the ride and handling, along with the lyndall brake pads. Brake response is much better and dust is non existent.

I have only cranked up the preload on the rear springs so I can accomodate my OL on the arse end periodically.

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
HD-LUX said:
I know what ya mean, I use the windshield about half the time. Love it on at highway speeds and love having the windshield bag there handy for smokes, wallet, phone, ear plugs, lighter, bong, whatever. But I have it off half the time too cause I love the beefy, sleek look with the Corbin solo. I almost never have the Heritage 2-up seat and sissy bar on now that the OL has her 1200 Low. SO I waffle back and forth. But with the windshield on and the BB Bags and dual tool boxes I got the storage part covered. I usually always have my rain gear, tools, spare plugs, extra belt kit, maps, smokes, gloves, two jugs of Gatorade, bungees, duct tape, extra goggles, doo rags, etc. Shees, is it really that much junk?
Um, Chris where do you put the kitchen sink. Jaysus Christ you tote some **** around. I don't even carry a screwdriver with me-

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Always be prepared is my motto. Sadly, I'm prepared for a major engine overhaul. I probably have 3 different kinds of screw drivers. I bet with all the stuff I've added on like a windshield, highway bars, bag guards, luggage rack, saddlebags, tool boxes and all my stuff that the bike is maybe 150 lbs. or 200 lbs. heavier. I think I need an NOS system now.

·
Harleys Nothing Compares
176 Posts
As promised MY "LUX" Pics Thus Far

Hi Guys please be honest and let me know what you think thus far of my 06 Deluxe which I bought in the middle of march

We All Know Black is faster :yes: :yes: But Airbrushing will be real Soon

Peace Dan

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
I reckon shes looking really nice, Dan. Those skull mirrors looks wicked, man.

What kinda bags are those ya got there? Look like they lock up.

How do you like your bike tent? The folks quoted me some hellacious shipping charges equal to the tent itself.

My poor bike lives outside under my back patio, the poor girl. I have a cover but its too much of a PITA to put on and take off a few times a day......

Cheers

Ride On

941 - 960 of 1827 Posts