V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new rim on rear of 99 softail. took banjo bolt loose used c clamp to push pads in. Using dot5 and i cant get brakes to bleed. All the lines are tight and hooked up. took banjo bolt loose at master cylinder stuck finger over hole and on first pump it has preassure but every pump after that it seems to build a vaccume on my finger and the brake pedal is not getting tight at all. It is the rear brakes. Need help. Dont have money to blow so would like to know witch one needs replacing the master cylinder or the calliper thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Man

If the Master Cyl. & the Caliper worked fine before, there will be NO need to replace either now..

Tighten the Banjo bolt and leave it alone..
Make certain the M-C is full..
Not being there I must ask if you are certain the Pucks/Pistons are Not cocked in their cylinders,, sometimes using a C-Clamp can be a wee off center..
If you wish to feel what is happening when you press on the rear brake pedal loosen the Bleeder valve Not the Banjo..

There are many tricks,, here's one..
Loosen the bleeder and pump till fluid comes out,,, Then close Bleeder and begin to pump-to-bleed..

Another.. Get a squirter oil can, slip a tube on it that will also fit around the bleed valve.. Remove the M-C cover..
Now fill the M-C again with the squirter can via the bleed valve..
May be a wee messy but that's what rags are for..

Another.. Remove the caliper and place on stool or box etc etc, Above the level of the M-C.. Slip a 1/4" or so flat-bar between the pads to simulate the thickness of the rotor and attempt tp bleed..
With the caliper higher than the M-C the air will tend to float UP to the bleed valve..
These methods, plus some, have all worked for me..

There are more ways and they will be forth-coming,,, at this point a wee patience is good..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok see if this makes sense cause it dont to me. at the rear caliper i can take the banjo loose and fluid will pump out tighten that back up loosen the bleeder valve even took all the way out and fluid will not pump out. If i stick my finger over the valve and pump i will get a little bit of preasure while i hold the brake pedal down and remove my finger it lets out a little preasure put my finger back over the hole before letting off the pedal and start pumping it does not get preasure again

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
You don't need to touch the banjo or the bleeder to move the pistons. Just take the top off the master cylinder and compress the piston with a C-Clamp and an old brake pad or block of wood. Just make sure the master cylinder doesn't overflow.

By opening the banjo bolt you are letting a lot of air into the system. That is probably why the fluid isn't coming out. Don't touch the banjo bolt, and bleed the system with the bleeder valve.

This is what I would do:
  1. Put banjo bolt back on with new copper washers and tighten it up to spec
  2. Tighten the bleeder valve
  3. Fill the master cylinder
  4. pump the brake pedal 5-6 times
  5. crack the bleeder valve for a second to burp the system, then tighten it back up.
  6. repeat step 3-5 until the brake pedal starts to feel firm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i done that banjo tightend up only using bleeder valve it burped out air first time and for 30 mins of pumping and all nothing no air or fluid is coming out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried everything the syringe didnt work for me I finally done it the way the book said and it worked hooked a tube to bleeder valve and ran it into a container of fluid and after 10 minutes i had brakes again. Thanks for all the tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts