V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Road Glide. Lyndall 'Z' pads and sst lines.

I've bled them until the cows come home and don't get any bubbles in the line. Rebuilt the master cylinder, and it made no difference.

If I pump the lever 5-6 times they firm up, but after 15 minutes or so, I'm back to a soft lever.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
brakes

Try rebuilding the calipers. The pistons need cleaned and new o-rings. It helped my bike a little but every bit helps. Are you losing any fluid?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I suggested to the forum moderator to post a "sticky" FAQ with commonly asked questions, as this one has been asked/answered many times (not your fault, you may not have been around to see it come up).

Anyway, I'm 90% certain your pistons need cleaning. With no dust boots, brake dust gets around the o-ring that is supposed to pull the piston back in and causes it to bind up there. You'll need to clean it up. I describe it in this link:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108289&highlight=clean+brake+piston

When I get around to doing it on my bike, I'll try to post some pictures or something.

I'm a former tech, and have done this job on many bikes. It will work like a charm. Any questions, PM me.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, Chop. I Shoulda done a search, but usually when I do I come up dry...

I did do a Google search after I posted here, and found another forum site that suggested pumping up the lever and then tying it back with a zip tie overnight. Tried that, and noted an improvement.

Still, I'll pull the calipers and clean up the slave pistons. Makes sense, and easy to do.

Ride Safe
Dan

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back from the garage...

Easy 1/2 hour project, and my front brakes are as hard as rocks!!!:thumbsup:

One thing I did, that was not mentioned in the Lyndall article, was to take a strip of old tee shirt material about 1/2" wide and fish it around the pistons once they were extended. Soaked it in brake cleaner and polished the pistons. Got them nice and shiny and pushed them back in.

I noted very uneven wear on one pad. Obviously, I had only one inboard piston doing all the work, and the other was stuck in the bore. New pads on the way.

Thanks again, and apologies for the repost...

Dan

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
ZR1Dan said:
Back from the garage...

Easy 1/2 hour project, and my front brakes are as hard as rocks!!!:thumbsup:

One thing I did, that was not mentioned in the Lyndall article, was to take a strip of old tee shirt material about 1/2" wide and fish it around the pistons once they were extended. Soaked it in brake cleaner and polished the pistons. Got them nice and shiny and pushed them back in.

I noted very uneven wear on one pad. Obviously, I had only one inboard piston doing all the work, and the other was stuck in the bore. New pads on the way.

Thanks again, and apologies for the repost...

Dan

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Next time you can catch it sooner, and not let your pads get unevenly worn. No sweat on the repost, it's tough to find stuff on here. I was able to find those posts because I knew what the problem was, and what words I had used in my response.

Lots of guys use rebuild kits, but I think that's overkill. A little brake clean and a few minutes, and you're all cleaned up. Plus with Dot4... you don't want to get any of that stuff dripped on ANYTHING. Strips paint like nobody's business. I plan on converting my system to Dot5 in the very near future.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ChopperDude said:
Lots of guys use rebuild kits, but I think that's overkill. A little brake clean and a few minutes, and you're all cleaned up. Plus with Dot4... you don't want to get any of that stuff dripped on ANYTHING. Strips paint like nobody's business. I plan on converting my system to Dot5 in the very near future.
Agreed.

Went for a test ride and the brakes are harder than an 18 year old at the first slow dance of the prom. Looks like this will be one of the items I add to my regular service schedule...

I've been happy with DOT 5. Doesn't absorb moisture and is way less caustic. I guess that is one other reason to keep my dated 2003 ride...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts