V-Twin Forum banner

Soft front brake.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  petrock 
#1 ·
I ride an '02 ultra and recently my front brake travel semms to have gotten excessive. I have bled them twice and checked the pads (still more then half the pads left). I still have travel on the brake lever that seems too much. The handle travels more then halfway before a hard stop. Thought about rebuilding master cylinder. Any thoughts?? Thanks,
Whiteymac:huh:

#3 ·
How's the thickness of your rotor?

#5 ·
Too much brake lever travel

You may also consider replacing the soft lines in the system. When they age, they do expand. In effect, what is happening, is the fluid is being pumped into a brake line that is expanding under pressure, hense the excessive travel in the lever. A leaky master cylinder would exhibit a sinking brake lever. Like at a traffic light if you put pressure on the brake lever and it gradually bottomed out.

My Road Glide with 30,000 miles on it is presently experiencing this condition.

Also, the only other thing that could do it is if you have an air bubble stuck in the line somewhere. Hope this helps.
{salute(

#9 ·
Fireman Mark said:
That cleaning process should work...
If you've bled the brakes and are confident that there are no air bubbles in the lines, you probably have a stuck caliper piston. Cleaning them (as shown in the cyclespot procedure), should free it up and you should have your brakes back to normal (if not better).

Fireman Mark said:
Just be careful the pistons don't push so for out they unseat themselves from the caliper... If they pop the seal it will become very messy very fast.
@gree: yup... real fast... Don't ask how I know... :whistle:

#8 ·
Fireman Mark said:
That cleaning process should work...
If you've bled the brakes and are confident that there are no air bubbles in the lines, you probably have a stuck caliper piston. Cleaning them (as shown in the cyclespot procedure), should free it up and you should have your brakes back to normal (if not better).

Fireman Mark said:
Just be careful the pistons don't push so for out they unseat themselves from the caliper... If they pop the seal it will become very messy very fast.
@gree: yup... real fast... Don't ask how I know... :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.