V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it smart to post a pic with you doing a stoppie? Would you actually buy this bike after seeing this?

:eek:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Even if I was in the market for a crotch rocket, I wouldn't buy a used one. Too much abuse.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea so it seems. :eek:
I was just lloking for pricing on the XB9S. I just noticed it and was wondering what they went for, when I stumbled across this and couldn't beleive it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A stoppie is not really that much of an abuse on a bike.
Just roll it to about 40 mph, start braking to load the front fork, when weight is well on the front at about 15 mph give a big squeeze to the front brake lever. make sure you pull the clutch in as well.
With sports bikes (very small rake angles and short frame) a stoppie is almost guaranteed.

When I sold my Aprilia SV 1000 Falco I actually demonstrated a stoppie (and a big 150 yards throttle wheelie :D) to the buyer who was then satisfied with the purchase.

Go figure.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Did you watch the video on the Don't Try This At Home thread? ABUSE.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There was an ad for an old Mustang in the local wheels and deals a while back. It read something like " High mileage, juvenile driven, never garaged, always abused, make offer. " LoL, very humorous.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Stoppie "not abusive"?

yeah.... And the weight slamming back down on that rear tire (don't see how you can do it smoothly), can NOT be good for the bike.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
He must of let off the brake all ready, I don't see him squeezing the leaver.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
rickpoco said:
looks like he might bite his tongue off or is that his lip
If he's got some real pucker power going, could be his a**hole.:eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Now, when you are riding a sportsbike on a track and you get to a very slow curve after a very fast straight you have to pull a very hard brake to get to the right speed.
Towards the end of the braking the rear wheel is almost off the tarmac (ever seen those pros getting into the turns sideways? A very light rear end helps them do that)
When you are braking hard almost all the weight of the bike is on the front fork.
I'm not saying that a stoppie will improve the life of a fork.
I am saying that if you use your sportsbike for what it is designed to do, which is ride hard on a track, you will subject the front fork to very similar stresses every time you have to brake very hard into a turn.
In my view there are worst things you can do to a bike than a stoppie or a wheelie.
For instance not braking a sportsbike (or any bike) in properly is a lot worst than a few stoppies and chances are you will not know it untill you realise you are riding a bike that is not performing the way it is capable to.
Also if you are able to control your bike the touch down from a stoppie or a wheelie does not need to be brutal.

But off course this is just my opinion.;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Um... I don't think the stresses of heavy braking with the rear wheel <1" off the ground and doing a stoppie can in any way be called similar? For one, the force vectors are in difference directions.. with the stoppie, the forks have already experienced the equivalent force of the heavy braking and then quite a bit more in different directions (from foward all the way to down rather than just forward)......

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
In my opinion, Dr. Young... :D (Just LOVE hearing these threads go technical!)

I'm just glad I didn't post that picture of me jumping over the Snake River on my old Sporty before I posted her in the forum classifieds....

LOL!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
I'm just glad I didn't post that picture of me jumping over the Snake River on my old Sporty before I posted her in the forum classifieds....

LOL!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
Hmmm, would've liked to have seen that... ;)

Not really that technical... just simple physics... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
409 Posts
NCFatBoy said:
(from foward all the way to down rather than just forward)......
:confused: :confused:

If anything I would have to say that down all the way is easier on the steering column.
Whatever!
A stoppie or two will not kill your bike.
It might kill you if you get it wrong.

This is the picture I used when I had to sell my previous bike. It went in a week!;)

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
That picture would keep me from buying the bike.

whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
dave51 said:

If he's got some real pucker power going, could be his a**hole.:eek:
LMAO!!!! LOVE that reply, dave51!!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
And to think I've been accused of having a twisted sense of humor. It's nice to be appreciated. BTW, love your signature. At night when I wake up, I look at the cieling and think "The sky is all white and lumpy."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reminds me of an ad I saw on Ebay a while ago. Some kid selling a metric muscle bike. The description gave the usual info. Well cared for etc. The main picture was him sitting on it just smoking the rear tire. You could hardly see the bike with all the smoke. He didn't get very many bids on that one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts