V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
507 Posts
Ah yes, I go through those before I even make it out of the yard...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Indeed.... This 124 is a double edge sword.. Fun and fast. However everything needs to be checked and gone through regularly. It tears up everything bolted to it. I remember when I only broke motor stuff, now since the S&S the motor is solid and the drive train is now the weak link. I gotta give S&S credit they build a serious motor. Of coarse I had to give them most of my bank account in return.... Lol

·
In disguise
2,741 Posts
I don’t know. I’ve had my 1999 FXR2 for 17 years and every time I park it, whether after a long or short day, I still think “what a sweet running, sweet riding bike”. It’s had heads, cam and ignition work plus brake upgrade hit nothing major. Only left me stranded once-/failed cam sensor plate. Yes, I am now knocking on wood.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,465 Posts
I don’t know. I’ve had my 1999 FXR2 for 17 years and every time I park it, whether after a long or short day, I still think “what a sweet running, sweet riding bike”. It’s had heads, cam and ignition work plus brake upgrade hit nothing major. Only left me stranded once-/failed cam sensor plate. Yes, I am now knocking on wood.
That's pretty much me too. 16 years with my '93, basic Stage 2, 1 expressway crash (14 years ago), and no breakdowns that I recall.

joe

·
Registered
80 Posts
35 yrs on my 1985 FXRS. Bought her new. We've run 300,000 mi of highways together. I'm on my second motor. Original transmission gearset. First motor went 185,000. I'm currently running a 1999 H-D Evo motor, bought new in the crate. Just got that one a new top-end. In retrospect...my biggest single error was to pull the original exhaust pipes. Most of the issues I've had since doing that have been exhaust system breakage. Earlier this month, while I was in Daytona...it got real difficult to tune my S&S carb. Found out I had a broken exhaust stud in the rear head and a big leak going on at the head as a result. GGGgrrrrrrr.
All that said...despite all the stories of part failures, roadside repairs, etc....you should know that I'm only now starting to consider retiring the old girl and getting into a new(er) model. My problem is...I can't imagine what it would be.
For those who remember "Lonesome Dove"...I'll sum up by quoting Augustus McCrae on his deathbed:
"Aye God Woodrow...it's been one hell of a party"

·
Registered
996 Posts
...and that's me too, over 200K and 30 years and no major problems, or well maybe one.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Coming from an Ironhead, [and a '68FLH] My [bought showroom new] '82 is perfection... only once I learned how to mount the Exhaust..
Moral... Get an Ironhead or 2, I haven't been without at least 1 On the Place, since before 1979!!!!
you will Learn "stuff" including some colorful New Words!!!!

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you will Learn "stuff" including some colorful New Words!!!!
It's certainly improved your colorful vocabulary.

You guys that haven't had trouble seem to have a common theme. Buying new/late model low mileage bikes compared to buying one with who knows how many previous owners with untold histories seems to make a difference.

Go figure.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
507 Posts
Alan, I agree. The gents that bought a decent FXR to begin with and have their witts about them ride em to hell and back.

I tend to buy the cheap junk and nickle and dime them back together enough to get a couple good rides in.

By the time I have em 100% iron out I find myself sick of the "FXR" thing... whatever keeps me going back to them, who knows...

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the time I have em 100% iron out I find myself sick of the "FXR" thing... whatever keeps me going back to them, who knows...

It's the koolaid. Let us know when your supply runs low. We have more.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
Alan, I agree. The gents that bought a decent FXR to begin with and have their witts about them ride em to hell and back.

I tend to buy the cheap junk and nickle and dime them back together enough to get a couple good rides in.

Hahaha you so funny. You could buy a junk FXR with a box of wooden nickels and within a short time restore it to new condition. You the man.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,465 Posts
It's certainly improved your colorful vocabulary.

You guys that haven't had trouble seem to have a common theme. Buying new/late model low mileage bikes compared to buying one with who knows how many previous owners with untold histories seems to make a difference.

Go figure.

Mine was 11 when I got it.

It had Straight Shots on it, 'LTR-RTL' stuff all over it, and had been repossessed at some point. The pipes and doodads sound like a 'style over substance' guy. The repo smells like neglect.

Because of these facts, I consider mine a rescue buy. ;)

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,465 Posts

It's the koolaid. Let us know when your supply runs low. We have more.

Yeah, WE know why he keeps coming back.

joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts