V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine (yes.....I actually have friends) just got a plasma cutter, and he gave me one of his first trial runs. He used 1/8" steel. After I got it, I painted everything black and then added the orange.......

After the base coat:

Then a little taping and add some orange paint:

The finished product hanging above the door to my "man cave":

I am happy with how it turned out, and have a few more ideas for things for him to cut out......

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is awesome. I wish Santa would put one of those up in my man-cave. Maybe if I leave out Jack and Coke?

That depends on how pure the coke is.

skywarrior said:
Don't advertise it too much or H-D will be after you for trade-mark infringment. But sure looks good, I want one.
Not advertising, just killing time. The guy who cut it out for me knows about the patent. I'm not trying to sell them, can't be sure what he has in mind though.

juiced03 said:
Now that is a fun new toy!
Nice paint work. So easy a clown can do it. Water colors?
I tried watercolors, but it was too hard. Had to use finger paint.:redrolf:

·
Registered
39 Posts
That turned out well; your friend did a good job. I got a chance to play with one at werk a while back. When I got done I looked down and found a bunch of burn holes from the sparks. Dooh! If I had 220 volts ac in my garage I'd think about buying one too. I've seen some neat signs, etc.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
That turned out well; your friend did a good job. I got a chance to play with one at werk a while back. When I got done I looked down and found a bunch of burn holes from the sparks. Dooh! If I had 220 volts ac in my garage I'd think about buying one too. I've seen some neat signs, etc.
220 in the garage is easy. Connect 3 spools of wire to the 2 wires going to the garage and pull them through the conduit. I squirted some dish soap into the conduit from the house end of the pipe and it pulled through really easy. Connect the 3 wires to the breaker box and your good to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
easy for you...

You make it sound easy to do a 220 install. My situation is a bit different (difficult). I'll do 120 ac projects but shy away from 220. I've got a buddy who is an electrician. Every time he comes over for a visit or to watch sports in the ManCave, he drinks all my Beer...

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I'm not an electrician but it's very simple. 220 is just two 110 wires and a common wire, thus the reason for pulling 3 wires.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shop w\looks really clean. need to mess it up.......
OK, I took your advice. Not really a big winter project but every time I looked at the sign, I knew it needed more. So, I did some more painting, grabbed some wood I had laying around, and got to work. I like it a lot better now. I think I can call it finished now.

As for the real project, I'm looking at cams.....:coffee:

·
Registered
240 Posts
we all need a goooood friend with a plasma cutter.
A rich friend that would have to be as well. A plasma cutter!! Why would you want a plasma cutter?? I happen to have a handrolically operated pair of tin snips for the once in a blue moon patch up repair job. :confused:

·
Registered
660 Posts
A rich friend that would have to be as well. A plasma cutter!! Why would you want a plasma cutter?? I happen to have a handrolically operated pair of tin snips for the once in a blue moon patch up repair job. :confused:
I am far from rich but I do have a plasma cutter. Efficiency is the name of the game....If I was just using it every now and then it might be differant. but in production work handrolics just don't cut it!...

The cnc programable tables like was most likely used to cut out the HD sign are generally available as an after market purchase/investment for someone that wants to expand and automate the capabilitys of thier existing plasma cutter. They are as handy as pockets on a shirt....:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts