V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kilted Werewolf
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, pavement hurts.

Yea, finally, as it is assumed with all bikers, I went down. The whole matter rather sucks in fact. I was at a busy intersection (lots of oil) and it had just rained...my bike had not warmed up all the way so the throttle was a little less responsive than normal, but this has never been an issue before. Well, turns out, it is an issue. I was turning the throttle when the thing took a mind of its own and reved high. Long story short rear tire tried to beat the front one and I went down at about 30. Went on my right side, F'd up the brake pedal (See the repair post in the brake forum :huh: ), ripped off one of the Kawasaki symbols :wootdnc: , no great loss there lol, dinged up some of the other stuff lights and such. As for me, I am sore, but I'm fine. Got separated from the scoot and started rollin' down the street. And anyone who says that the MOCO's "fashion" leather jackets won't keep you safe don't know what they are talkin about! Anyway, I'm fine, all is well, I hurt, and imagine will do so more tomorrow. And if you know anything about brakes please read the thread I'm about to go post on the appropriate forum (Wheels/Suspension I spose.) Thanks! AND RIDE SAFE!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sorry to hear you went down man. But, your right, everyone does sometime, no one is perfect. Glad to hear that your ok and the damage was minor though.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Yep, Fresh rain after a long dry spell got me as well last year.

Lesson: I never ride unless it has rained 15 minutes, or recently.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
tibs said:
Lesson: I never ride unless it has rained 15 minutes, or recently.
Thats a nice sentiment, but pretty hard to live by.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
That sucks man but at least you are ok...

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by Wolffman
Long story short rear tire tried to beat the front one and I went down at about 30.
Reminds me of the time I got my shoelace entagled in the front wheel and I took a header over the handlebars. Okay, it was a bicycle! Sorry about the crash nonetheless. Glad you're okay.

·
Kilted Werewolf
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to see you have gained a few caliburs since I've last seen you MadCity.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
no, only the red wings come in the mail, but thats another slippery subject.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
berserker said:
Thats a nice sentiment, but pretty hard to live by.
Its not hard to stop for 10-15 minutes when it first starts to rain to clear the oil off the road if its been a while since the last rain. Its just scary slippery at the start then you can manage it. When I didnt wait, I hit the oil slick coming up on an intersection and lost control at about 5MPH. It was just starting to rain and was perfect for a wipeout.

Hell I was riding home in hail, lightning and a downpour yesterday - but it had rained the day before and I wasnt waiting 3 hours for the storm to pass. If it hadnt rained, I would have waited 10-15 minutes, and probably missed the hail storm but had more intese rain to deal with. Was kinda funny, but I didnt exactly have anywhere to pull over to avoid the hail, so I kept going - most of the cars on the road stopped. By the time I reached an overpass, it was behind me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 15 minute rule would be hard to live by for me. I use my bike to get around, and if it starts to rain when I'm leaving, there're lots of times I couldn't or wouldn't want to wait. But I do take extra precautions when it has just started to rain. bb

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
claydbal said:
no, only the red wings come in the mail, but thats another slippery subject.
Hey Wolffman - sorry about your mishap - that blows! Glad you're OK. Always heard that it's slickest right after it first starts to rain because of all the crap on the road, but so far have been lucky enough to avoid any problems.

I'm still waiting for my "broken wings" patch to come in the mail after I got whacked in '98 by a left-turning cager. I sure hope they don't send me "red wings" instead by accident... :eek: :xhere: Ugh...

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
glad you r ok.

The fisrt time i went down was on diesel spilled from a bus. minor injuries to me and the bike.The second onei lost the rear tire in crushed cinderblocks With a whole year of experience i knew i could handle it.Instead of laying it down and riding it out,i tried to right her.Started wallowing and she threw me off,i broke my right radius,sternum and some not so spare ribs. when i got home 6 days later the wings were sewn onto the lower back of my cutoff. feel better,rob

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
ha!

Lady Godiva said:
Hey Wolffman - sorry about your mishap - that blows! Glad you're OK. Always heard that it's slickest right after it first starts to rain because of all the crap on the road, but so far have been lucky enough to avoid any problems.

I'm still waiting for my "broken wings" patch to come in the mail after I got whacked in '98 by a left-turning cager. I sure hope they don't send me "red wings" instead by accident... :eek: :xhere: Ugh...
I got them too! ahh,youth!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Many times I have been caught out on the highway when the rain started, no where to pull over. Plus what do you do in light rain? Its not enough to wash roads in 15 minutes.

Its a good sentiment though.

·
1,336 Posts
Wolfman glad you okay with no major injurys. I got pretty freaking scared last weekend myself. I was coming home from PGR Ride about 100 miles from my house. Riding with my buddy, he rides a Suzuki Boulevard. We saw the dark skys moving in. Then it just opened up on us. Heavy driving rain, road flooding and strongest winds I have ever seen. Damn near picked my bike up, I thought for sure my windsheild was going to come off. We were on a four lane is was so bad and quick everthing came to a stop on the road. I kept it upright, let's just say I was glad my pants were wet from the rain:hystria: Worst thing is I had my 13 year old son on the back. He was loosing it, which did not help matters. The guy I was riding with thought he was moving when he was sitting still and almost dropped his bike. It passed as quick as it came in. They were claiming tornados in the area next day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts