V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your opinion on using snythetic oil in a Twin Cam? Will it hurt the motor? My HD dealer said using snythetic oil would void my warranty.:confused:

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
I have been using Mobil1 20-50 V-twin a while now. No leaks, no runs, no errors. If it's good enough for my C5 Corvette it's good enough for the HD. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got Mobil I 15/50 in my 96 FLT. (Remanufactured engine)
Bike runs great, cooler and nothing leaking or seeping.
Somebody on FFB board said the regular 15/50 is same as the V Twin. Only they figure Harley owners want the best so they came out with V twin. (Same oil)
Only have to change every 5000 miles which really appeals to me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
OH YEAH????

Bill C said:
Got Mobil I 15/50 in my 96 FLT. (Remanufactured engine)
Bike runs great, cooler and nothing leaking or seeping.
Somebody on FFB board said the regular 15/50 is same as the V Twin. Only they figure Harley owners want the best so they came out with V twin. (Same oil)
Only have to change every 5000 miles which really appeals to me.

Bill...That;s all well and good...BUT...What kind of wax is best...Huh...HUH??:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Groucho,
I got Mother's gold, California this, Maguires that and even got sucked into the Liqui Tech from the FFB board. I think that LiquiTech may just turn out to be my new favorite.
Remember the good old days when all we had was Turtle Wax?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
SYN. OIL

Grey Ghost,

Who is your dealer? If your break- in miles are all ready behind you, there should'nt be any problem with the warrenty in regard to using Syn. oil.
After putting 10,000 miles on my '89 FLSTC that I purchased new, I went to Syn. with no beef from the dealer.
Could be a dealer that just wants the after the sale business. Your scooter will run cooler with Syn. that much I have learned from using it.
Nor any leaks or any problems .

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
All this talk of voiding warranty by using a different oil is bogus. The service departments and dealerships may give you a ration of bull ****, but Harley-Davidson knows that by LAW that unless they furnish you oil free of charge that any comparable or better oil can be used without voiding the warranty.

FifthGear

·
Registered
232 Posts
YUP...I do!

Bill C said:
Groucho,
I got Mother's gold, California this, Maguires that and even got sucked into the Liqui Tech from the FFB board. I think that LiquiTech may just turn out to be my new favorite.
Remember the good old days when all we had was Turtle Wax?

Yup...I do remember, Damm paste took forever to get off...then when you have to scrub it to get it off....Ya KNOW it's gotta be scratching the paint after awhile...
Likki Tech AND
MMO!!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Miles on '89 FLSTC

Festus,

The mileage on my Softail was 167,742. The only changes I did to the engine internally was upgrade on the cam and replaced lifters and push rods at 100,000 miles.
It was a blast untill an 18 wheeler tagged me during a rain storm.
Be aware of road rage, it can pop up ANYWHERE !!!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
20-50 /15-50 Syn Oil

tc88,

The 15-50 is a little lighter for start ups in the cold, and like you said, the cost across the counter. Cannot see vhow you could go wrong with the 15-50.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I downloaded an Ebook called the Motor Oil Bible. It is a comprehensive comparison of fossil and synthetic oils. If the figures are to be believed then the synthetic comes out way on top.

Unfortunately it seems biased towards Amsoil. Has anyone come across this oil? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No idea on how good it is, and it MAY be as good as any, but with the snakeoil marketing structure they use I will never find out either.
Everyone develops their own ideas, and mine is to use ester or diester based synthetics (as opposed to synthesized hydrocarbons), and to use them from day one.
Right or wrong, have done so for over 20 years, in any number of extreme applications, and have no intention of changing any time soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
syn oil question

As a user of only HD oil up till this point, I guess I should ask....is the Mobil 1 15-50 sold as automotive oil or is it cycle oil? I like the possibility of finding oil that is more readily available, but I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Mobil1 15W50 is the oil you find at any WalMart or parts store. The 20W50 is the motorcycle specific oil for air cooled motorcycles. They claim that there are differences, but the spectrographic analysis shows them to be almost identical, and both surpass the additive content of HD360. These are facts that are in the public domain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
after hd talking down synthetic oil,went to local club meeting and guest speaker was hd tech. i asked about syn oil, and he announced that hd is coming out syn oil and how great it was. cost over $8 a quart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
JTF go online and type in AMSoil and check it out. I have anywhere from 12lbs.Idle pressure in hot weather and 16lbs in cold. My bike runs about 15 degrees cooler than it did with H-D oil regardless of the temp.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts