V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the clutch cable on my 06 Fatboy and my snap ring pliers are too big to remove the snap ring on the grip/lever pin.. The tips on mine are too large in diameter to be more specific... Can anyone recommend a brand or part # that they use for this?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get yourself this Craftsman Snap Ring Plier set 9-37907 from Ace Hardware or Amazon or Sears (if you can find one). The smaller pair works great for the clutch lever cable end.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
Look on Amazon, buy a set that has the right sized pins made to them.
The kind with clamp on pins are to be avoided.

For smaller rings, the sets where the handles mount to reassembled ends work fine.

Now with that said, there are as many sizes and styles of ring pliers as there are ring. And they do wear out or break, so keeping the drawer stocked is a never ending chore.

These are the ones I use the most often on Harleys.
The big red ones on the left are for primary bearing and clutch ramp rings.
The red reversible ones are the most used. Clutch adjuster plate comes to mind.
The little green reversable ones are handy on Evo pumps and cam chests. The 90 bend set was originally for working on old Mopar gear reduction starters, but they work great in Evo cam chests.

The silver set is for transmission rings, the kinds that just have a flat end on them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up purchasing some Knipex 4911AO pliers... I went on the Knipex website and these had the smallest "pins" ( tips) they made... Just got them this AM and they look like they will work... Nice quality too.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts