V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miltec and/or Microlon.
anything to them--or just change oil with synthetics?
Cheapdad

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
According to Miltec's website, the stuff is better than peanutbutter and jelly. Very expensive though.,..somewhere around $40 for a single engine treatment...

I'd wait for some after-action reports before i'd buy any

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Cheapdad said:
Miltec and/or Microlon.
anything to them--or just change oil with synthetics?
Cheapdad
Oil additives and engine treatments have been around since oil itself. As long as there are uninformed people around with some bucks in their pocket there will always be a market for these types of products. The FTC can't keep pace with them. Once they put one of them out of business another comes on line to replace it. Sometimes it is the same manufacture with a different brand name. The best hope is that if you choose to use one that it won't hurt anything other than your wallet.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
george douglas said:
Oil additives and engine treatments have been around since oil itself. As long as there are uninformed people around with some bucks in their pocket there will always be a market for these types of products. The FTC can't keep pace with them. Once they put one of them out of business another comes on line to replace it. Sometimes it is the same manufacture with a different brand name. The best hope is that if you choose to use one that it won't hurt anything other than your wallet.
hi george, nice reply.
i was suckered a few times before i wised up after finding "bob is the oil guy". in saying that, is there a list of aftermarket stuff that can actually help a highly stressed air-cooled engine ( '92 evo ) ridden in a hot climate i.e.15 to 43 degrees celcius. specifically, can the mandated reductions in zinc etc be supplemented with an additive or is it un necessary.
btw, my dad always used some form of moly in the '70s and colloidal graphite in the '50s and '60s. did these provide any benefit to him and his engines? and what are their roles if any today?
thanx in advance, john

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
bonnie john said:
hi george, nice reply.
i was suckered a few times before i wised up after finding "bob is the oil guy". in saying that, is there a list of aftermarket stuff that can actually help a highly stressed air-cooled engine ( '92 evo ) ridden in a hot climate i.e.15 to 43 degrees celcius. specifically, can the mandated reductions in zinc etc be supplemented with an additive or is it un necessary.
btw, my dad always used some form of moly in the '70s and colloidal graphite in the '50s and '60s. did these provide any benefit to him and his engines? and what are their roles if any today?
thanx in advance, john
John,
If you use a motorcycle specific oil for your bike you don't have to be concerned about the EPA mandated reductions that mostly apply to 30 weight oils for the automotive market. Moly is used in many oil formulations now while graphite is not used due to the downside of it's tendency to collect with each other and possibly forming oil dams in some oil galleries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts