V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
PUB
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 Wide Glide and I want to put these http://www.surdyke.com/hd/product.asp?prod=3641&cat=45 Heel Rests on it, but H-D indicates they won't fit an '03 or newer bike. I realize in '03 H-D changed the configuration on the right side foot peg/brake lever, but if all the all the foot pegs still bolt up, wouldn't these bolt up as well? Is there an interference that I can't see? It looks like the Heel Rest would just push the peg further out, but away from under the brake pad.

Anyone try to do this on an '03 or newer WG w/ forward controls?

Hud

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I used to have an '03 Wide Glide and had 50227-01 heel rests on it. The specs for those said the same thing, "Fits '93-'02 FXDWG and '89-later FX Softail® models", but they worked fine.
Both the 50262-01 and 50227-01 heel rests attach to the stock peg brackets then the pegs attach to the heel rests, so the 50262-01's would bolt on OK. I don't know if you can adjust the angle on the 50262-01 heel rests or not, but that may be the issue if the angle of the '03 peg bracket is different from pre '03. The angle of the ones I had was adjustable.
The heel rests will push the pegs out further, about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly.

·
PUB
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
murphdog said:
I used to have an '03 Wide Glide and had 50227-01 heel rests on it. The specs for those said the same thing, "Fits '93-'02 FXDWG and '89-later FX Softail® models", but they worked fine.
Both the 50262-01 and 50227-01 heel rests attach to the stock peg brackets then the pegs attach to the heel rests, so the 50262-01's would bolt on OK. I don't know if you can adjust the angle on the 50262-01 heel rests or not, but that may be the issue if the angle of the '03 peg bracket is different from pre '03. The angle of the ones I had was adjustable.
The heel rests will push the pegs out further, about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly.

Murphdog,

Thank you for the response.

Do you happen to have any pictures of these heel rests after the install?

I was pretty sure these would bolt right up, but thought because of the '03 brake lever change the rests could or would bottom out on turns. Did you have any issues bottoming out? Did you have the rests angled up pretty far, as not to bottom out? Because the foot peg is pushed out 1.5"-2", did you have any discomfort in braking or gear shifting?

The rests I'm looking at do adjust, with a gear type male/female system.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad, as you are coming from the exact situation I am currently in.

Hud

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I highly recommend the "Longhorn" brake pedal after you install the stirrups. $30 and well worth it.

HD carries, or can order, the Kuryakyn. I have had zero issues with the chrome or rubber. It's the 8044 part # in this link.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3209

I bought the HD stirrups for my Wideglide and although they are pricey ($175) they are very functional and work great. You can see the brake pedal and the stirrups in this pic. Not real good pic but if you want a detail picture of the bolt-up let me know. [email protected]

My bike is a 1995 but I'm thinking those footpegs are pretty much the same...although some are clocked 90 degrees.

By the way..those stirrups in your link look to be the same as the HD. Chrome may be a little different or the rubber part...or maybe it's because HD likes to add that extra money. Imagine that.

Attachments

·
PUB
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steveusmc said:
I highly recommend the "Longhorn" brake pedal after you install the stirrups. $30 and well worth it.

HD carries, or can order, the Kuryakyn. I have had zero issues with the chrome or rubber. It's the 8044 part # in this link.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3209

I bought the HD stirrups for my Wideglide and although they are pricey ($175) they are very functional and work great. You can see the brake pedal and the stirrups in this pic. Not real good pic but if you want a detail picture of the bolt-up let me know. [email protected]

My bike is a 1995 but I'm thinking those foot pegs are pretty much the same...although some are clocked 90 degrees.

By the way..those stirrups in your link look to be the same as the HD. Chrome may be a little different or the rubber part...or maybe it's because HD likes to add that extra money. Imagine that.
Steveusmc

Those are the exact heel rests that I am considering. The only bad part is in '03, HD changed the brake lever to mount/pivot on the foot peg mount. It looks like your pegs are mounted a little higher then the '03s, maybe that's the difference.

Thanks for the pic. If they fit that well on my '03, I'll be stoked.

Hud

·
PUB
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hudman said:
Steveusmc

Those are the exact heel rests that I am considering. The only bad part is in '03, HD changed the brake lever to mount/pivot on the foot peg mount. It looks like your pegs are mounted a little higher then the '03s, maybe that's the difference.

Thanks for the pic. If they fit that well on my '03, I'll be stoked.

Hud

Does that look higher? Maybe not..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hudman said:
Murphdog,

Thank you for the response.

Do you happen to have any pictures of these heel rests after the install?

I was pretty sure these would bolt right up, but thought because of the '03 brake lever change the rests could or would bottom out on turns. Did you have any issues bottoming out? Did you have the rests angled up pretty far, as not to bottom out? Because the foot peg is pushed out 1.5"-2", did you have any discomfort in braking or gear shifting?

The rests I'm looking at do adjust, with a gear type male/female system.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad, as you are coming from the exact situation I am currently in.

Hud
Hud, no I don't have any pictures with the H-D heel rests on the Wide Glide. I actually didn't leave them on very long, I didn't like the way they angled out away from the bike. My heels ended up on the arm of the rest instead of on the pads. I got the Kuryakyn stirrups and liked them much better as they come straight back. In fact, I saved them when I traded bikes and have them on the 07 now. Never had a problem with the heel rests scraping. I did scrape the ends of the pegs a couple times when I was leaned over way more than I was comfortable with, but the heel rests never hit the pavement. I got the Kuryakyn Longhorn shifter peg and the brake pedal pad Steve mentioned and they work great with the pegs moved out. Without them, there was quite a lot of foot movement going on to shift and brake.
Here's a pic of the H-D rests I had off the bike. They're essentially the same in the way they mount as the ones you're looking at and I don't see any reason yours won't work on an 03.

Attachments

·
PUB
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
murphdog said:
Hud, no I don't have any pictures with the H-D heel rests on the Wide Glide. I actually didn't leave them on very long, I didn't like the way they angled out away from the bike. My heels ended up on the arm of the rest instead of on the pads. I got the Kuryakyn stirrups and liked them much better as they come straight back. In fact, I saved them when I traded bikes and have them on the 07 now. Never had a problem with the heel rests scraping. I did scrape the ends of the pegs a couple times when I was leaned over way more than I was comfortable with, but the heel rests never hit the pavement. I got the Kuryakyn Longhorn shifter peg and the brake pedal pad Steve mentioned and they work great with the pegs moved out. Without them, there was quite a lot of foot movement going on to shift and brake.
Here's a pic of the H-D rests I had off the bike. They're essentially the same in the way they mount as the ones you're looking at and I don't see any reason yours won't work on an 03.
Thank for the feedback. I wonder if adding the kury forward control extensions would have any effect on the if the pegs/rest scrapping.

Hud

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Hud,
Big difference is that your brake lever is mounted, and pivots, on the same bolt as your footpegs. Mine is a separate mount connected to the forward controls mounting. It does appear to be a larger lever, and higher...but it is very easy to get to and operate. Not sure if you could make that work on your's or not. The first thing to do is get rid of those "El Cheapo" stock footpegs and put something with a little more "meat" on there. There are some really good heel stirrups, HD and Kuryakyn also.

No matter which set of stirrups you decide on make sure you work at it until you get the "clock angle" just right. May take a little experimenting for your comfort.
I'm sure you know this but remember that if you want to reclock your shifter lever you need to pull that bolt all the way out before you can move the lever. (Just thought I would throw that in).

Good luck and be sure and put some pics in when you're all done.

·
PUB
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
steveusmc said:
Hud,
Big difference is that your brake lever is mounted, and pivots, on the same bolt as your footpegs. Mine is a separate mount connected to the forward controls mounting. It does appear to be a larger lever, and higher...but it is very easy to get to and operate. Not sure if you could make that work on your's or not. The first thing to do is get rid of those "El Cheapo" stock footpegs and put something with a little more "meat" on there. There are some really good heel stirrups, HD and Kuryakyn also.

No matter which set of stirrups you decide on make sure you work at it until you get the "clock angle" just right. May take a little experimenting for your comfort.
I'm sure you know this but remember that if you want to reclock your shifter lever you need to pull that bolt all the way out before you can move the lever. (Just thought I would throw that in).

Good luck and be sure and put some pics in when you're all done.

I'm in the process of updating the foot pegs, but thought I'd use up what came on the bike stock. After 20K, it's time for pegs, grips and a few other goodies. I already purchased the pegs, shifter, and brake pad from the smooth chrome collection. These matched the heel rests I wanted. I actually walked into the dealer and noticed them in the 50%off bin:thumbsup: ,as they have been discontinued. THe dealer even threw in the shifter and brake pad for 50%off. The heel rests are a different story. They are discontinued as well, but no dealers want to deal.

Anyway, I think I'll to decide if I want the pegs out further, and need to reach in to brake and shift. I don't think there will be a problem mounting them.

Here is the setup that I'd like. The brake pad is actually the smaller size, though. And the heel rest shown are actually for mid-controls.

Thanks,

Hud

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts