V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st season on my new to me bike 03 anniversary softail. Starts great, runs great, fun...but when I start it shortly after a ride when it is hot, I see some smoke under the tank and takes a few times to start. Then runs fine. Advice, tips, have you heard of this?

·
Super Moderator
20,199 Posts
Does it kick back when it fails to start? Could just be pushing some vapour out of the air cleaner. Or it could be pushing it past the intake seals, said seals being why its taking several tries to start it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it kick back when it fails to start? Could just be pushing some vapour out of the air cleaner. Or it could be pushing it past the intake seals, said seals being why its taking several tries to start it.
TBH my last bike was carbureted and this is my fist fuel injected bike so not sure what it is failing to do when starting. Usually starts on the 3rd try.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
If an injected bike fails to start, hot or cold no throttle more investigation is needed. Is the bike stock, no changes other than pipes? Is it cranking at normal speed? Are there any tuning devices added to the bike? Has the bike sat for extended periods with the same gas perhaps?

·
Registered
362 Posts
More info would be great. How many miles are on it? Is it stock? Or have the heads been replaced? Etc...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Are you giving it any gas when trying to start it?
If so, don't touch the throttle.
I don't mean to insult with this question. Just gotta start somewhere.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Maybe your IAC systems is the culprit, the bypass could be clogged.

Armin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts