V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a Cobra DFO on my TC88 with Cobra pipes, Stage I filter (K&N). At idle it smells like it's running a bit on the rich side. Since the idle and cruise are the same from a fuel management perspective, and because I can't stick my face down there cruising down the road (although I know some women that probably could), I'm wondering if this is somewhat normal.

It isn't sickening rich like a motor with a maladjusted carb that makes your eyes water, but it does smell like it's a bit over what it should be.

I have it set dead on what Cobra says it should be. I could back it off to the point that it doesn't have the rich smell, but I know this will lean it maybe to the point it's back near what it would be factory. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's been warmed up or not.

I guess the question here would be whether or not a slightly rich smell is normal.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
The best thing to do is watch your plugs and gas mileage. Mine was running rich on the green pot. I was only getting about 39 mpg. Turning the pot back one clock position brought the mileage up into thel ow 40's.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the plugs and aside from the ongoing oil fouling of the front one, there was only some soot buildup on the base of the plugs. Insulators and electrodes are clean.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
jrehm said:
Checked the plugs and aside from the ongoing oil fouling of the front one, there was only some soot buildup on the base of the plugs. Insulators and electrodes are clean.
It will never run right with plugs showing sign of oil fouling. First things first......

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
jrehm said:
Just went through this. Valve seal needs done at the least. Compression check for rings, leak down test for heads if one or the other is off you have your answer. I was at 13% on my front head and 3% on my rear. Compression was 205 front and rear, checked many times for consistency.

You need to deal with that first as VH said or you are just chasing your tail.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I gotta get the oil problem taken care of. It's in the works. Dealer has finally agreed to fix that, but everytime I get ready to take it in the weather gets nice enough I don't want to be without it for a week or two. I'm sure I'll have some downtime to get it in soon.

Right now I'm debating on doing a big bore kit while they have it apart. More importantly is whether to do the Stage I or Stage II. I'd like to go for the Stage II, but it depends on how much they'll hit me for on the extra time for the cams. It's not really in the budget right now, but I'd hate to not be able to take advantage of the warranty labor if I have the chance, at least for part of the job. Not entirely sure if they'll even take the jugs off if they find the problem to only be a head gasket, as another dealer suggested it may be.

I gotta call them today about another issue anyway, so I'll see if they would stop at the head removal, or go the extra distance and actually check the rings and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts