V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone to a smaller antenna on their bikes? If so I would be interested in knowing where you purchased them and how they work.

Thanks,

Sarge

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Depends if it's a Ultra or not. The CB antenna pretty much has to stay. Or it can be removed alltogether when you don't use it.
The radio antenna is easily replaced with a rubber duckie from Radio Shack. Reception suffers a little in the open country but it's fine around town.
Last week there was a 02 Glide with a lot of custom touches and the guy had the same rubber duck antenna, but the twist was that it was mounted horizontally following the line of the left saddlebag support bracket. Of course the bike has a 2 into 1 exhaust.
I liked it as there was no way you could tell the bike had a radio antenna unless you laid under it or had it on a table, and the radio seemed to work fine at least in town.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Sarge,

Were do you hail from in Pgh.?

·
Registered
96 Posts
How much smaller are you thinking? Mine was scrapping across my roll-up garage door so I removed the mast, cut off approximately 4" from the bottom, removed the black coating before re-installing and now it's perfect. Did not seem to affect am or fm reception at all.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has really chopped it short and how it affected reception...

Richard H-D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The little rubber duckies are coil loaded. You cut the stock one real short and it will probably cut into your range big time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the little rubber antenna on my E G and it works fine. Like Hippo said if you are way out in the boon docks, reception suffers a little..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smaller Antenna

Greetings--

Thought I would pass on to everyone that I have found smaller antennas and right now I am totally satisfied with them. First off, Radio Shack no longer carries the small one or the "Rubber Duckie" as some have referred to it.

I found one at Advanced Auto Parts which is similar and works great and looks great as far as I am concerned. For those who may be interested its the "AutoWorks" brand universal Replacement Antenna Rubber Mast, stock number AT-RM1R. It comes with several adaptor plugs but none necessary. Unscrew the stock antenna and screw the new one right on.

So far I have not had any loss of reception on the AM/FM radio. Do not know about the CB because I dont use it.

Hope this helps anyone considering smaller antennas on their Electra Glide.

Sarge

·
Registered
240 Posts
Radio antenna solution

I have a power antenna that coils around the inside of my FLHT's faring. It needs 12 volts to work, but eliminates an external antenna. This makes it real easy to remove my tour pack. I do not have a CB. This would not be a solution for someone using a CB. This antenna can be purchased at marine dealers or custom auidio shops. I'll give it a thumbs up

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got an Ultra Classic with the detachable tour pak. For an antenna when the tour pak is off, I installed the FLHT Fender Mount Antenna Kit (76182-95A), then took a hack saw and cut off about 4 feet from the bottom of that antenna. Reception suffers a bit, but it looks much better along next the the sleek look of the Badlander seat. Of course, I get full reception back when I bag up with the tour pak and the long whip.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Sarge, just did an antenna job on one Monday. I got a small rubber whip antenna ( most auto parts stores sell 'em for about 10 bucks) took off the fairing, removed the stock antenna, coiled up the extra cable from the whip and zip tied the thing to a group of wires behind the fairing. Took about 15 minutes. Reception is just as good as before. Can't see the antenna.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Funny that this thread should start today, i just lost my CB antenna on the ride today. I guess the stealer has that piece of wire to replace it. It must have slipped out of the coil which is still there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Chuckfw brings up a good tech tip idea again. For those that like the long antenea's (lke me) it's a good idea to pull the little set screws that hold the whip's in place and put a dab of lock tite on it, then tighten it up again.

I've heard of more than a few Ultra riders coming home minus their whips.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dealership had done some tests and cut the antennaes off at a special height. It didn't effect the reception on either the radio or the CB.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Could you let us know what the height the dealer decided on ?

Thanks...........

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks !

How about you, mont1340..... what height die your dealer decide on, and was it the same height for both the radio and CB antennas ?

I would like to shorten the length of both the whips on my Ultra as they tend to wave around quite a bit at higher speeds.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Having read thru the various post I'm left with a question. Did the dealers or you check the SWR after they cut the antenna off ? Not having messed with newer CBs I do know the ground plane on the older CBs was very critical and must be correct to keep from burning out the finals, thus ruining the CB. I just can't believe newer CBs would be any different than the older CBs. The ground plane calibration must be done with a SWR meter and can be tricky.

A lot of you have indicated that no difference in operation. Are you referring to the reception or the complete operation of the CB?

Ride Safe !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts